battery disconnect

Saildogs

Where is the best place to mount a battery disconnect switch on a North Trail 24 RBS. I was talking to a trailer service tech and he suggested on the outside of the battery box.

Marshall

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 5th wheel so mounting a battery disconnect is pretty straight forward. With a travel trailer, I think I would mount the switch to a box of some sort. Such as an electrical outlet box. Then use a flat cover for the switch knob to fit through. This would work pretty good unless you are going to use a blade type disconnect.

APT

I picked up one of these disconnects which goes right on the post. I have used something similar on vehicles at my previous job for automobiles and it works well. Of course, I don't know if it will work yet until I pick up my TT, but I'm hoping....

Last edited:

RollingHome

A couple of things to remember when installing the battery disconnect switch :

1). If you install it so "everything" is disconected, you may be creating an unsafe condition. i.e. You forget to turn it on when you travel and the TT breaks loose from the TV = No emergency brakes. I suggest a seperate "un-switched" circuit to the break away brake switch, one that can't be forgotten and left off.

2). Installing a arcing type disconnect switch: These type/s should not be installed in the plastic battery box with the handle through the plastic box. You would have to remove the lid to use the Harbor Freight switch and that should ventilate the explosive gases. Leaving the box closed and causing an arc could cause an explosion. Use a seperate box for a arcing type battery disconnect switch.

3). Consider switching away from the battery, on the TT

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
A couple of things to remember when installing the battery disconnect switch :

1). If you install it so "everything" is disconected, you may be creating an unsafe condition. i.e. You forget to turn it on when you travel and the TT breaks loose from the TV = No emergency brakes. I suggest a seperate "un-switched" circuit to the break away brake switch, one that can't be forgotten and left off.

2). Installing a arcing type disconnect switch: These type/s should not be installed in the plastic battery box with the handle through the plastic box. You would have to remove the lid to use the Harbor Freight switch and that should ventilate the explosive gases. Leaving the box closed and causing an arc could cause an explosion. Use a seperate box for a arcing type battery disconnect switch.

3). Consider switching away from the battery, on the TT

I had nothing but problems with my 'Harbor Freight switch', it made a arching noise during use. I don't think it gave a 100% good connected when closed so I removed it. I'm still looking for a high quality switch to replace it.

RollingHome

WestTexas, Try a marine supply like West Marine. These places sell high quality battery disconnect switches. I believe a couple are water resistant - a good choice if water will get to it.

APT

Thanks for the head's up on the HF switch. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it was worth $4 to try or return.