Converter not converting

motoflash

Anyone experienced problems with the 110 to 12v system. I awoke to dim lights the other morning while plugged into 50 amp service. I turned off the 50 amp and went direct to the truck connection and the battery started to recharge. After a day of driving the battery was charged but upon hooking to land power for the night it went down again. The wall plugs work fine. I am having to keep a battery charger turned on to keep power to the 12v lights. Any clue?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Sounds like your converter is going or gone bad, check the voltage output at your converter.
This happen to us the last long trip so now on I take a 12 amp battery charger with us. The refig won't work without 12 volt so thats the biggest problem.

PUG

Pug
My convertor went out also about two years ago. I contacted the manufactuer (under warranty) and they sent me a new one. The dealer in Tucson (where I was) was very uncooperative and obviously didn't want to help. I installed it myself and returned the old one to the manufactuer. A simple test on the output side will tell you if it is working. Basically all it is is a smart battery charger. These have been weak spots for years.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Start with the obvious. Is the AC breaker for the converter tripped? Has the converter plug come out of the wall socket? Is the converter putting out anything at all on the DC side? If not, maybe the output fuses are blown. If its more than that you probably need a new converter.

Iver

I had similar problems. It turned out that neither the input or output wires of the converter were not tightened at the terminals. One of them burned at the terminal and would no longer conduct anything. Cut about an inch of bad copper and re attached. All has been fine. Was a factory oversight and travel vibration did the work.
Good luck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Go to the Tools tab and then to the Owner's Manuals section. Click on Electrical and then Converters. Select Progressive and then the model you have. The troubleshooting information is contained in them, along with some basic voltage tests before replacing it.

motoflash

Thanks for the feedback. I am also connected to a battery charger until I get to a dealer. Not being an electrican, I don't know where the unit is or what it looks like.
Frank Heard
2008 F-450
2010 Heartland Augusta

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
look behind the wall in the basement. There are several green 30 amp fuses. They could be blown and be your problem.