Why I Would Have Trouble Reccomending Heartland RVs to a Friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraythe

It could be that this is my first new RV purchase and I expected more from the company and the dealer themselves. However, I must admit that my experiences so far with Heartland and their dealers have been frustrating to say the least. Perhaps a little background might be in order.

At the end of March 2010 I purchased a 2010 Heartland Northtrail 28BRS from a local RV America store. Unfortunately the weather promptly returned snowy with a vengeance and I was not able to get the trailer out until the middle of May. On the first trip we were mostly happy though there were a number of defects that needed to be handled. Apparently there was an appliance problem with the stove and refrigerator cooling but none of those really bothered me all that much. After all you cant expect things to be perfect on the first run. However there was one incident that really made me think.

While coming back from Buena Vista, CO we encountered high winds and even higer winds when an oncoming truck went by us at 120 mph closing difference (he was westbound and we were eastbound) on a 2 lane road. At that point something astonishing happened. The front left escape window came cleanly off the hinges, every rivet popped and the window flew off and down the highway. The screen was dislodged and ended up inside the trailer and the window shades were shredded. And here is where the problem begins. Although its absolutely clear that there must have been a structural defect with either that hinge or the window, heartland is telling me to go to **** on the warranty with that.

And that is only half of the problem. When I call either RV America or the Heartland service department, the attitude is rude an surly. You get the image of a guy holding the phone with his shoulder, issuing monosylabic answers and wishing you would just shut up, hang up and go away because he has better things to do than talk to a customer. Its like pulling teeth to get an answer. Even the parts department doesnt seem to know their own vehicles. You can tell them the exact window with the VIN of the vehicle and they cant even look that up on their system? Instead you must manually measure the window with a tape measure? That seems messed up to me. If I call ford service and tell them which part, vehicle and year, they can immediately look it up. They don't need me to measure the length of the belt for example. The lame excuse from Heartland is, "Well there are lots of windows in the trailer." Of course I wonder how many "Driver's side front fire exit window"s there could be in a single trailer.

RV America hasn't impressed me either. After purchasing the trailer their attitude has essentially been, "Yeah ... whatever, we got your money already so go away." Is the art of customer service, satisfied customers and building word of mouth recommendations old fashioned now? Are we all reduced to numbers on a board?

Upon delivering my RV to have the issues in the shakedown cruise serviced, I was told by RV america that I would have to completely take off my Pro-Pride 3p hitch (a Hensly design, upgraded hensley arrow). Never mind that it takes something like 4 hours to get it off and I dont exactly carry a 200ftlb torque wrench in my back pocket. I said, "Pardon me? Do you know how long it takes to install that thing? Its not a 1-2-3 operation." But apparently they cant handle moving the trailer with the hitch despite me volunteering to show them how to use it. Now someone tell me why I want to let a mechanic tinker with my RV when he cant handle a well known if less common trailer hitch? I have a good mind to go pick up the trailer and do the service work myself. I practically built my own house so it cant be that complicated.

So now I am looking at customer service that would rather I get hit by a truck an leave them alone, a service department that cant handle hooking up to a hitch that a couple of rank amateurs can man gage, and a RV dealer that would prefer it if I just go away. Someone tell me why I would want to recommend my friends for either of these companies? And the irony is that I have friends now thinking about buying a trailer. Perhaps I should send them to one of the other companies and other manufacturers less I risk losing their friendship.

I am a very dis-satisfied customer.

-- June 08, 2010
Just a few notes and a follow up.

First of all the window was latched. We checked it specifically before we got on the road. It wasn't just that we never opened it to begin with, I personally visually checked it.

Second of all at the end of this charade it turns out that my RV will end up being in sevice for 7 weeks for a single window. Heartland's vendor needs 3 weeks to get a new window to heartland and then Heartland will send the window on to the dealer for another week and the dealer will get to the replacement within 1 to 2 weeks. Since the trailer has been there nearly three weeks already, we are looking at a total time of 7 to 8 weeks.

Heartland's line on this is, "Well we change the windows constantly so we dont stock them and the vendor takes as long as they take." Really? Are you kidding me that you dont use standard windows and change them all the time? You don't think that would create a parts fiasco? It did.

The entire summer is essentially blown. Three trips must be canceled. We will get the trailer just in time for a couple weeks before kids start up school again. Yay my entire summer is BLOWN. I just hope there are no more delays or I will get it back in time to do nothing but winterize it.

As for the people trolling me and insulting me, *dismissive wave*. Whatever. The post isnt for you. Its so that prospective customers can be informed about what they are getting into and so that perhaps Heartland will improve things. Of course since I am only a VIN number to them and they already have my $21k, my expectation of them making changes is about zero. But one can hope.

If you find this acceptable as a new customer then OK. Otherwise heed the warning. I had hoped that I would be posting a follow up that all was resolved. Unfortunately I cant do that.

Last edited:

Kraythe

Why you should choose another brand if you want quality and customer service.

Unfortunately I am regretting purchasing a heartland trailer and I want to help others know exactly what they are getting into.

When buying a heartland RV, if you choose to REALLY go forward with the purchase then you will want to make sure that you have checked everything in the trailer including the secureness of the attachment of the windows. In our trailer one of them came completely off when we were passed by a semi going the opposite direction at a high rate of speed and heartland is telling us they wont cover it under waranty. Check every little hinge and make sure they dont show you a winterized system. Once you pressurize the lines with water all sorts of things can go on and they will try to say you caused the damage. Also make sure they show that the fridge, stove, and oven works.

When I bought my trailer I was told that all of this had been checked out and that I didn't need to worry. Like a moron I believed the dealer. Now I am looking at being out 500+ to replace a window that came off the trailer because it was apparently not securely fastened.

Finally don't expect any help if you want to mod your trailer to your desires. They wont provide schematics, plumbing diagrams or even tell you where the studs are in the trailer. Just refer to the email conversation I pasted in below. Essentially is says that I take it as it is and that is that. No drawings, no information, "hey we got your money already so we don't care." By other companies will often provide that information knowing that the users like to do things to their RVs such as add items and put things on the wall. Many companies will give you a drawing to figure out how to find a stud and give you an electrical diagram to allow you to install a solar power system. Heartland just wants your cash then they are done with you. If you are a person that likes to modify your trailer, this is not the compnay for you.

Be very careful. I am now the owner of a Northtrail trailer that I honestly wish I had not purchased. I would have been better off buying from someone that cares about customers. I will say that my two friends that are considering getting into RVs will hear from me that they should avoid Heartland. But then I am just another number in their book. Apparently customer service and building a business by word of mouth is a thing of the past.

Mr. [Kraythe]

Thank you for taking the time to contact Heartland RV customer service.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT]
There are no backer plates on the rear wall to install a ladder or spare tire and cover. Heartland Rv does not participate in modifying our units. .
I am sorry but Heartland Rv does not send out our buildschematics.
Thank you and have a wonderful day
Cheryl
[FONT=Segoe UI, sans-serif]------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:16 PM
To: Dealer Services
Subject: Installing a Roof Access Ladder and Back Spare Tire Carrier
[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace] [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]Greetings, [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]I have a 2010 Heartland Northtrail 28BRS (VIN Last 6 are 210086). The [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]placement of the spare tire is problematic at best. Whenever I go [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]through moderate dips in the road, that tire scrapes the pavement which [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]is not only annoying, it is not good for the tire either. I know you [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]advertise it under the tongue as a good point but I cant help but [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]disagree. The trailer is too low to the ground to leave it there. I [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]thought to place it in the pass through compartment but that takes up a [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]lot of space so I thought the best option would be to mount it on the [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]back with a spare tire carrier. Would this be possible and what parts [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]and mounting instructions would I need to accomplish it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]In addition I would like to mount a roof access ladder to the trailer [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]to be able to access the roof and perform maintenance and cleaning as [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]well as service the solar panels I plan to put up there. The problem is [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]that I dont know where the solid wood studs are that would allow me to [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]mount the ladder. How can I find them? Where would be the best place to [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]mount the ladder and do you have any reccomendations for aftermarket [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]ladders. [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]Finally do you have the layout drawings for the framing, plumbing and [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]electrical systems that I can access to make modifications to the [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas, monospace]trailer such as install an inverter, satellite radio antenna and so on.[/FONT]

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Why you should choose another brand if you want quality and customer service.

Unfortunately I am regretting purchasing a heartland trailer and I want to help others know exactly what they are getting into. Please understand that I really am sorry for your issues and hope that they can be remedied in such a way as you can once again enjoy camping!

When buying a heartland RV, if you choose to REALLY go forward with the purchase then you will want to make sure that you have checked everything in the trailer including the secureness of the attachment of the windows. In our trailer one of them came completely off when we were passed by a semi going the opposite direction at a high rate of speed and heartland is telling us they wont cover it under waranty. Check every little hinge and make sure they dont show you a winterized system. Once you pressurize the lines with water all sorts of things can go on and they will try to say you caused the damage. Also make sure they show that the fridge, stove, and oven works. This is something that everyone worries about. I did what I was able during delivery to check out every little thing I could. I then spent the next week or so tightening screws, adjusting hinges, checking plumbing etc. not so much because there were issues but because this preventative measure helped me systemactically inspect most every part of the trailer! I learned from a previous mistake purchasing our first RV. A PDI is very important.

When I bought my trailer I was told that all of this had been checked out and that I didn't need to worry. Like a moron I believed the dealer. Now I am looking at being out 500+ to replace a window that came off the trailer because it was apparently not securely fastened. I too was told this but apparently our dealer was a little more reputable or perhaps thorough. So far, only a couple of minor issues that were immediately fixed. Perhaps your insurance can help with the replacement costs.

Finally don't expect any help if you want to mod your trailer to your desires. They wont provide schematics, plumbing diagrams or even tell you where the studs are in the trailer. Just refer to the email conversation I pasted in below. Essentially is says that I take it as it is and that is that. No drawings, no information, "hey we got your money already so we don't care." By other companies will often provide that information knowing that the users like to do things to their RVs such as add items and put things on the wall. Many companies will give you a drawing to figure out how to find a stud and give you an electrical diagram to allow you to install a solar power system. Heartland just wants your cash then they are done with you. If you are a person that likes to modify your trailer, this is not the compnay for you. Not trying to take sides but having dealt with motorcycles, aircraft, and RV's, most of the time when a manufacturer refuses such help it is a "liability" issue. Insurance companies frown on businesses giving suggestions on how to modify whatever it is they have insured according to original design.

Be very careful. I am now the owner of a Northtrail trailer that I honestly wish I had not purchased. I would have been better off buying from someone that cares about customers. I will say that my two friends that are considering getting into RVs will hear from me that they should avoid Heartland. But then I am just another number in their book. Apparently customer service and building a business by word of mouth is a thing of the past. Is the trailer new? Even if it is, there is no better time to trade it than now if you still want to RV. We sold our last rig on Craigslist in 3 days! No one should go around miserable...life is to short. I am sure you can find some type of remedy to better the situation! Best wishes!

Kraythe

Re: Why you should choose another brand if you want quality and customer service.

Motorcycles, cars and whatnot will provide you with a service manual for a fee that will let you know how the system is put together. They will say that you can void warnings making mods and they wont tell you how to mod, but they wont simply tell you to go to **** when it comes to the drawings of the actual systems.

As for trading, I would take a total bath on price doing so and I dont have the spare change to do that right now. I wish I did. Actually, to be honest Ijust wish heartland would stop flipping me the bird. Then life would be fine.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, actually I think that Heartland did answer your questions, and didn't flip you off. You asked where to mount a ladder, and was told there was no backer plate on the rear to support that.
You asked for a build schematic and were told they do not give that info out. Makes sense to me. In a buisness that has competion I would not give that information out either.
Manufacturers built to certain specs, and can not endorse changes made beyond those specs. Again, makes sense to me.
Window blowing out? can't comment on that other than are you sure it was secured?
Also it seems that you are carrying some of your dealer problems over to the grip about Heartland. If the dealer didn't check things out like they should have, take it up with them. Whether you bought a Heartland product or brand X, you should have tested, or been shown these items before leaving the lot.
Sorry to hear of your problems.

Peace
Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

From reading your thread I don't see what Heartland did wrong. It appears your problems are based on how the dealer treated you and somebody didnt latch the window before towing (we did that once, oops).

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Wow, actually I think that Heartland did answer your questions, and didn't flip you off. You asked where to mount a ladder, and was told there was no backer plate on the rear to support that.
You asked for a build schematic and were told they do not give that info out. Makes sense to me. In a buisness that has competion I would not give that information out either.
Manufacturers built to certain specs, and can not endorse changes made beyond those specs. Again, makes sense to me.
Window blowing out? can't comment on that other than are you sure it was secured?
Also it seems that you are carrying some of your dealer problems over to the grip about Heartland. If the dealer didn't check things out like they should have, take it up with them. Whether you bought a Heartland product or brand X, you should have tested, or been shown these items before leaving the lot.
Sorry to hear of your problems.

Peace
Dave

What Dave said except I would add that HL didnt have to use **** in their response to you.

If you want to vent, that is fine. If you want to get irate, that is fine too. I have never seen where using **** has ever helped in defining the point or win empathy.

In fact, just the opposite.

Duramax1

With respect to your spare tire scraping the highway, you might consider raising the level of your trailer hitch.

As I have not seen any posts from any other Northtrail owners which makes me think that perhaps the front of your trailer is too low.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Just curious, do you think that a window in your home would withstand a 120MPH wind gust?? BTW, did you get a plumbing and wiring schematic with your home?? I think not.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders

I certainly don't see any reason for bashing Heartland for your problems. They appear to be all Dealer oriented and to some degree yours. You should have done a PDI with your dealer before taking possesion of your unit. Some dealers are not very reputable, I certainly hope all your problems get resolved....

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!

With respect to your spare tire scraping the highway, you might consider raising the level of your trailer hitch.

As I have not seen any posts from any other Northtrail owners which makes me think that perhaps the front of your trailer is too low.

BINGO!!!!! Or too soft a suspension on the TV. Most likely cause of this is if they come loose and start to lower themselves. I have had this happen but still didn't drag it as I caught it in time.

We don't drag the spares mounted under the tounges on ANY trailers no matter if they are Heartland, Keystone, Forest River, Monoco or any others on our haul & tow transporter trucks. This truck has 11' of tail swing from the center of the rear axle, with the hitch fully extended 4' like it is in these pics it has 15' of tail swing fron the center of the axle. Only thing I have ever hit under the trailer was a tounge jack while loading onto a Ferry going to Vancouver Island British Columbia and those ramps onto the ferry are steep with no transistion.

These Keytone Passports which are built very similar to the Heartland Northtrails and IIRC they also have Lippert frames.

IMG01361.jpg

IMG01363.jpg

IMG01371.jpg

Cimriver

It's interesting how folks who post about a problem with customer service get flamed on this forum. I personally have had a less than pleasant experience with customer service. Actually with the same customer service rep.

Kraythe

Just curious, do you think that a window in your home would withstand a 120MPH wind gust?? BTW, did you get a plumbing and wiring schematic with your home?? I think not.

You think incorrectly. I most certainly demanded and recieved a full schmatic and blueprints to my house. I also have the service manual to my truck should the need arise or the desire arise to mod it. I also live in colorado on the front range so building codes require winds of up to 90mph sustained. But that is irrelevant since the other 4 windows on that side of the trailer did not come off. Clearly they weren't blessed with the flaw the one did have that came off.

Interestingly enough the TV and hitch is not set too low. The spare tire is too low. Its pretty clear when you enter a bump and the spare hits the pavement. I know I am not a perfect person but hallucination is not among my problems. The trailer is set properly to ride level to the ground which means that the spare is just too low. If you consider the trailer has 18" wheels that means there is only 9" of axle clearance when level. That doesn't give a lot of wiggle room over the length to account for dips in the road. I have debated having the axles flipped but was again flipped OFF by heartland when I even proposed it. They said basically they wouldn't warranty ANYTHING on the trailer anymore if I did that.

From reading your thread I don't see what Heartland did wrong. It appears your problems are based on how the dealer treated you and somebody didnt latch the window before towing (we did that once, oops).

Actually we never opened the window at all so unless it came unlatched by magic it was latched. The window parted at the rivets and left. As for the problems being dealer based, some of them are. However, Heartland saying they don't want to help anyone who wants to mod a trailer and wont warranty a defective window hinge are both questionable at best.

It's interesting how folks who post about a problem with customer service get flamed on this forum. I personally have had a less than pleasant experience with customer service. Actually with the same customer service rep.

I find that interesting but not surprising. People tend to give too much latitude if they like a product and not give credit to issues.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it

Hi Kraythe,
Sorry to hear about your problems with your HL Northtrail. I can sympathize with you, but honestly, I had over 30 issues with my new Big Horn in 2009, and HL Warranty and Customer Service came through for me concerning most of the issues. As a sage master once told me, why go to the rear end when you can go to the head? My advice is to call Heartland Customer Service and ask for Jim Fenner, who is the manager. You can find the phone numbers here on the forum on the Portal page. I am really surprised when people send emails about their problems, and don't take the time to call and speak to a real person, especially the one in charge. I know that you are incensed, as I was when my leaf springs broke on a trip through Oregon, but I was able to solve my issues, and are continuing to do so, by calmly asking for help and ending up getting solutions. I even started a thread as you did, and the component manufacturer VP of Warranty took the time to take my phone call and just this week finally solved my problems to my satisfaction. Good luck, I hope you keep your blood pressure down, and solve your issues. Heartland is #3 in sales of fifth wheels, I believe, so they must be doing something right.

Also, you are basically going ballistic over two main problems, your spare tire location, and the blown out window, so I hate to see how angry you are going to get when more issues arise, as they do in every large new RV product. Some blame needs to be shared with your dealer, for sure. As far as your blown out window is concerned, I saw zero in your letter to Heartland about that, so I got to believe Mr. Fenner would hopefully replace that broken window at no charge, especially if you are under warranty. Good luck, stay cool, and make that call.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

If the "tone" used in your thread carried over into your conversations with Heartland reps...it's no surprise why they do not want to help you...."demanding" and bullying people will not likely get you what you want.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

If you had problems with a customer service rep and know their name (especially if it was more than once) I would be talking to their supervisor and writing a letter of complaint to Jim Fenner. He needs to know if his employees he supervises are not doing their job or are unprofessional in doing their job.

BruteForce

It is curious how everyone is so quick to jump on somebody that complains or gripes. Spending this kind of money should not result in issues right out the gate.

As for me, I had similar issues on our first trip -- and completely agree that the spares sit too low on these trailers. On our first outing, the spare came off, tearing off half the rear stabilizing jack. I only hope that the tire didn't bounce off another vehicle behind me on I-15. My spare will now reside in the bed of the truck for future trips.

Best thing to do though (as others have mentioned) is to pick up the phone before venting online or via an impersonal medium like email.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)

remember, if you buy 200 lbs of gold it will be very heavy! Some people would complain about absolutely anything.......kind of in thier nature! Easier to complain and ***** about something than do the thought process of getting it right!

Cimriver

If you had problems with a customer service rep and know their name (especially if it was more than once) I would be talking to their supervisor and writing a letter of complaint to Jim Fenner. He needs to know if his employees he supervises are not doing their job or are unprofessional in doing their job.

I only had the one bad experience and was able to resolve my issue on my own. Similar to Kraythe I was trying to get some documentation to assist me with troubleshooting my issue (Satellite/Cable cabling.) I find it hard to believe there is not an engineering drawing of the cable layout for my Elkridge. Bryan Walczak sent a drawing, but it wasn't the correct one. I decided not to pester him anymore, but was unsuccessful getting it from Customer Service. I was pretty much told to take it to my dealer, no small task as they are 60 miles away and I would have had to leave it. 240 miles altogether. I was able to locate the problem thanks to a suggestion from another member of this forum. In the future I won't work with the customer service rep on any but the most minor of issues, but saw no need to go to her boss.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I guess we all can have some good or bad experiences, I guess I am one of the "Lucky" ones. My wife and I bought a new 2011 North Trail 21fbs right off the lot back in late February. We got a fair deal and the dealership was very honest and helpful. We have taken 2 trips so far and have had to call and cancel out service department appointment to fix or tweek whatever it needs because everything has worked the way it is suppossed to. The dealership has followed up several times asking for our opinion of their performance and thanking us for our business. They have even sent me free courtesy gifts. I live about 15 miles from my dealer and sometimes I will stop in to ask a question or just to say hello, everyone is very friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to refer friends or family ( in fact I have). My dealer is McClains in McKinney, Texas / maybe it's just a good old boy Texas hospitality thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.