Hot Water Heater MPG 183

fruopoli

I am having trouble getting my hot water heater to produce hot water. I have tried both the electric and gas switches and both are not working. The hot water line is running fine, but no hot water, not even warm. It just chugs out cold. Are there any trouble shooting tips you could give me before I take it in to a dealer to get checked.

jimtoo

Hi fruopoli,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

First you need to make sure you have water in the heater by checking your bypass valves. I do not know where they are located on your unit, but should be right behind the waterheater. Should have a valve on the inlet line (open) and a valve on the outlet line (open), and then a valve on a line between the outlet and inlet lines. This valve needs to be closed.

Next we need to know if the burner lights or not,, is propane turned on? You need to be sure heater is full of water before using electric element. If no water in heater, element will burn out quickly.

Let us know more after you check the valves and about burner.

I am moving this post to a better location for members to give you some more help, faster than factory.

Jim M

fruopoli

I found a little rocker switch on the outside panel. It was in the off position. I never knew it was there, until I really searched for it. I also wonder if I could leave this switch on at all times. I am not sure what it does, but once it is turned on, it provides hot water, even when the inside switch is turn off. I will post more photos to illustrate my point to show everyone what I am talking about.

By the way, we are loving the MPG183. We have had it a month and used it three time already. We can't get enough.

scotth92

I had this EXACT issue in my North Trail. An independant field RV repair guy wasn't able to sort out the problem either. A trip to dealership revealed the simple answer. I hope to always remember this in the future!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had this EXACT issue in my North Trail. An independant field RV repair guy wasn't able to sort out the problem either. A trip to dealership revealed the simple answer. I hope to always remember this in the future!
So what was the simple answer? Just curious I guess.

scotth92

Ray - there are two valves for the bypass - you have to set both correctly so the water enters the hot water heater and exits to the hot water line into the unit. We had the one open so water went into the hot water heater, but would not exit. The reason I found it challenging is because the valves are on the backside of the heater in the pass through storage compartment - it is not easy to see back in there!

Once you know what to do, not that hard - you just have to know the mechanics, which we did not the first time around.

I hope that helps.

brains77396

When we were doing our walk through, the tech turned on a switch and said to leave it on. Located outside in the water heater compartment. On the left you will see where the gas line comes in. Below is some do dad with wires on it. Below that and way to the rear is the switch. Turn that switch on.

I am having trouble getting my hot water heater to produce hot water. I have tried both the electric and gas switches and both are not working. The hot water line is running fine, but no hot water, not even warm. It just chugs out cold. Are there any trouble shooting tips you could give me before I take it in to a dealer to get checked.