towing rig size

tappet

I have a 1994 chevrolet 2500 with air bags and a 454 engine. Is this truck safely capable of towing a 3400 RL? If not what size truck would it take?

HappyKayakers

Hi Tappet,
I have a 3600RL. The hitch weight in the specs is just 40lbs over yours. Can't remember what the exact hitch weight was last time I weighed. I'm towing with a Dodge 3500 CTD SRW. GVWR on the truck is 9900 and I'm very close to that when loaded (trailer wt when loaded 14500). I don't have the specs on your truck but you should look at GVWR and rear axle capacity closely. I'm sure some of the other folks who've pulled with gassers will chime in about gas vs diesel for a rig that size.

nhunter

I tow a Bighorn 3600RL with and 06 F-350 SRW with the 6.0l diesel. I am legal on all axles with the H2O tank empty, BUT when I fill the H2O tank I am then over the gross combined weight rating (truck and trailer) yet under on all axles still. My GCWR is 23000lbs.

tappet

trailer tow rig

Thanks for the help. I did not buy my truck new and the decal for the GVWR is wore off so I cannot see what the max weight should be. Maybe I can get this from Chevrolet.

phranc

A good person to contact on this forum would be Evans & Lana Waller ...I believe he uses a gas chevrolet in your weight range.. Seems to work well for him..