Weight and Balance

Iver

Know that this has been covered but need help making sense of these numbers (the truck was weighed alone and then the whole rig was weighed) :

Cat Scale: Truck alone, Steer Axle: 3900 Lbs., Drive Axle: 3340 Lbs.,Total: 7240 Lbs
Hooked up: Steer Axle: 4040 Lbs., Drive Axle: 5020 Lbs., Traler Axles (2): 6460 Lbs., Total: 15520 Lbs
What does all this mean? Good, Bad?

Thanks for the help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like you're overweight. Per the HL info, the NC26SRL travel trailer has a hitch weight of 630 lbs, but you've added 1680 lbs. to your drive axle. Like dumping 3/4 ton of bricks in the bed. The trailer axles are rated to 5200 lbs. each, giving you a GVWR of 10,400 lbs. But you're showing 6460 lbs., making your trailer weight 12920 lbs., or 2520 lbs. overweight. The dry weight on that trailer is given as 6756 lbs. If all of this is correct, the ISS crew must be complaining about being blinded by headlights of some guy pulling a TT.

I haven't weighed my trailer yet, but by comparison, the drive axle on my truck is 3560 lbs, and the steer axle is 4480 lbs., for a gross weight of 8040 lbs. (just my 165 lb carcass in the cab).

Iver

The Cat Scale does not weigh each of the two axles separately so the two axles on the trailer total 6460. It does ride level with the stabalization bars. Something must be wrong because I do not have it packed to the gills at all. I think I need to re-weight at the Scales hitched up. For $9 it is worth it.

Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Cat Scale does not weigh each of the two axles separately so the two axles on the trailer total 6460. It does ride level with the stabalization bars. Something must be wrong because I do not have it packed to the gills at all. I think I need to re-weight at the Scales hitched up. For $9 it is worth it.

Thanks

Were your water tanks full? Remember water is heavy at almost 10 pounds a gallon. 60 gallons is almost 600 pounds. No need to run with the tanks full unless you are dry camping.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
David, it does look a little edgy. Your OK on your GCVW if your trailer was a 5er. Your 2500 is rated at 22K with a 5er. Do you have a work box or anything in the bed of the truck? 1680# is a lot of tongue weight for a TT. I think you should try it again.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Something is not right with those weights.......do you have a weight distribution hitch?
The hitch weight is just so far off its hard to beleive its correct.

Last edited:

Iver

I do have a wt distribution hitch. Will reweigh ASAP. Think the tanks were empty when I did the last run thru the scales. Stay tuned for the next sequel.
Thanks

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
OK…I am no expert and I certainly don’t want to share misinformation but I am confused! If his trailer weighs 6460 lbs while hitched and his drive axle increases by 1680 lbs while hitched, doesn’t that mean the trailer weighs in at 8140 lbs?

The GVWR for his truck is 9200 lbs I believe. So at the weight of 9060 he is good in the GVWR department. (assuming it was loaded with driver etc.)

The GCWR is 22,000 and the total with the information provided is 15,520.

It seems to me, he is “good to go” with some extra margin.

What did I miss?

caissiel

Thats why I never weight my unit on the truck scales. I paid good money once years ago andgot similar off weight mesurement that did not make any sense.

I never used those scales again. I found it was a waste of money with no results worth anything.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
SJH...This is what I see too....I do not see a problem with these weights either...he's well within all limits???