Where did the 10 gal of water go

bigdob24

I have a 2010 3300 RCB . Very nice unit, works well for my needs.
I have had some trouble with the water right from the start. Seems the vent tube had a low spot and prevented the 57 gal tank from being filled to capacity. Talked with the dealer and it was re routed and fixed . After the fix I filled the tank and the 10 gal. hot water heater and measured the water amount two times and only got 35 gal. both times.
I called and talked to the customer service guy for my area and told him about my 10 gal. short coming and he said he would check it out , took my number and never called back.
My question is where is the 10 gal ??
35 gal. in the tank, 10 gal in the water heater, and 2 gal in the pipes, and the specs say it has 57 gal fresh water.
Dan

Bighurt

This may sound dumb but I'm assuming you vented the pipes?

Also are you going off the meter or when the vent starts spittin' water? I have a feeling like fuel tanks the two are very different.

D

Dave Willis

We have a 47 gal fresh water tank and the 10 gal hot water heater for a total of 57 gal fresh water capacity. I'm not sure what is happening with your unit but I would get back with your dealer and have them get with our service department to see if they can figure it out for you.

Thanks,

Bram

If you look at the installation of these tanks, the top of the pick up fitting is 1-1.5 inches from the bottom of the tank, and the bottom of the vent fitting is 1-1.5 inches from the top of the tank. That all means you have 2-3 inches of unusable volume in the tank. Although the tank may have a total volume of 45 gal, the way it is installed only leaves about 35 usable.

bigdob24

We are taking it out next week , will fill, burp and refill and measure one more time and then contact the dealer.
We do a lot of camping where we don't have hook ups and the extra 10 gal comes in handy. The last RV we owned hauled 100 gal fresh water, so we got spoiled
Thanks
Dan

Bram

I ended up shiming my tank to put the pick up in the low corner and then installing a second vent in the now high corner, so I can get full use of the tank. It made a big difference.

D

Dave Willis

I just spoke to my plant manager and our Engineer. They said that we had one complaint two months ago and we went out and test several units and they all held 47 gallons of water. We are not sure why your unit is coming up 10 gallons short. I wish I had a better answer for you but they are testing fine here at the plant.

Regards,

bigdob24

As I'm in central IL. how about I bring it back to the factory and then you all can have a look do a test and fix the problem!!!
This was the third time this unit was in the shop for water system trouble.
My first RV held 100 gallon of fresh water , so going to 57 gallon was a big concern as we dry camp more than we camp at campgrounds. It wasn't till after the fact I was informed that the 57 gallon included the 10 gallon hot water heater, that's when the 47 gallon became very important and all I get is 36 gallon at best .
See what you can come up with
Dan

D

Dave Willis

I spoke to my plant manager and he said that what we have is our standard tank and we can't go any larger. He said that you really have about 10 gallons left in the tank but because of the drain location you can't get it all out. Our engineer is drawing up a new tank print with a bottom drain so all of the 47 gallons will be able to drain out. We should have that done soon.

Thanks,

bigdob24

Will you guys at the factory or my dealer be able to install this into my 3300 RCB to correct the trouble ??
Dan

D

Dave Willis

Once our engineer gets the new tank design you should be able to get your dealer to install it for you. I don't have an ETA on the new tank desing yet.

Thanks,

bigdob24

Thanks Dave
Let me know when the engineering is done and the new designed tank is available.
I will get in touch with the dealer.
Thanks again
Dan

bigdob24

I spoke with the dealer and just need to know ETA of the new tank, any word yet

Dan

[QUOTELet me know when the engineering is done and the new designed tank is available.
I will get in touch with the dealer.

/QUOTE]

bigdob24

Still waiting for this new tank.
I have spoke with a costomer rep. three times and he can't come up with an answer. I was hopping to have it installed before the end of the month as we have a long trip planned. I guess I will have to haul water to the RV a few extra times.
Dan

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
Bigdob24,
I think there is some confusion here. Heartland is looking at designing a tank in the future with a drain port in the bottom of the tank to allow you to drain it. Your comments above make me believe that you feel it will give you more access to this water, which it will not it is for draining purposes. You can drain most of the water as it sits now, you may have to lower the front of the unit to do so, but I think you are expecting more water when the only thing this tank may offer is easier draining capabilities. Currently this tank has not been designed and there is no target date for its completion.

guitarpicr

Bigbob- After reading thru this thread I am curious if you measured the water in the first time that you filled the holding tank? I was thinking maybe with the drain in the holding tank not being on the bottom your fresh water tank , it already has 10 gallons in it when u start filling, which would make sense if the drain was not plumbed into the bottom of the tank from the getgo. I am trying to figure out myself why a drain in a holding tank is plumbed into the side of the tank????? My only thought was they are trying to keep the plumbing above the enclosed underbelly for freeze protection. Still not a good design!!

bigdob24

I'm still talking with Heartland , Dave Willis is going to contact me and tell me if his department is going to pay for the new tank design . As of Today he has not called, must be working with the design people.
When the tank is drained , there is nothing left for the pump to pick up. The dealer said the suction tube was where it needed to be. I have not measured the input in gallons, if I have time I will do that this weekend.
I was hopeing this would have all been fixed, it has been several months. We are leaving on a long trip of dry camping and freash water will be a big issue.
Will post the results of water input later
Dan

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Was this fix implemented before my 2011 Sundance 2800RL was manufactured, dealer took deliver of the unit in October 2010?
Tom