Upgraded Entertainment Speakers

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I decided to upgrade the ceiling speakers in the Landmark. I removed the original speakers and noticed that there was a 3” hole behind them. In order to mount the new speakers I needed to cover the hole. I designed a cover that also acts as a mount for the new speakers. It is made of tempered masonite (smooth both sides), that I painted white. I made brackets from 1½ “, 1/16” thick angle aluminum which I also painted white. I mounted the brackets to the covers with machine screws and nuts. I then mounted the speakers to the brackets and then to the ceiling with the original screws from the original speakers. They sound much better and clearer!

Attachments

• DSC02003..JPG
    DSC02003..JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC02008..JPG
    DSC02008..JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC02001..JPG
    DSC02001..JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC02010..JPG
    DSC02010..JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC02005..JPG
    DSC02005..JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC02009..JPG
    DSC02009..JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC02006..JPG
    DSC02006..JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC02000..JPG
    DSC02000..JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 132

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Nice job. I almost bought those speakers a few months ago but have found out the Jensen receiver in the BC does not have enough power to drive those speakers.
Have you changed your receiver or do the Landmarks come with a better receiver than the Jensens?

Terry H

Staff member
The Landmarks come with a Samsung Receiver, I replaced it with a JVC RX-D205S Receiver that has digital optical inputs, and other goodies, all for about $150.00. This unit is even better than the Samsung unit. Here is the Specs on the receiver.

Last edited:

watchthebox

I know this is an old thread, but I like how you upgraded your speakers. I've found the sound quality lacking in my Cyclone 3010, and I've been considering upgrading. What's the most important element to upgrade, the speakers, audio receiver, or both? Does the Jensen receiver that comes with the 2011 Cyclone's actually process surround sound and are the speakers actually wired for that?

Terry H

Staff member
The speakers are the most important part of a system upgrade. I do not know about the Jensen receiver. If you look at the instruction manual or the back of the receiver if you see 6 speaker connections then it should process surround sound.

6.7powerstroke

I have had several competition audio systems over the last several years and know a little on the subject. Not to contradict the other thread, but power is the most important thing. If you put a high end speaker with no power, it will not sound any better than the cheap one you replaced. You will always get better sound putting a better receiver in front of a cheap pair of speakers than a cheap receiver in front of a good pair of speakers. Jensen is right around Walmart quality, so don't expect too much. If you look at the high end speakers on the market for mobile audio (Focal, JL Audio) they all require a great deal of power. This is because the magnets and voice cones are much larger in better speakers than a cheap paper speaker. You possibly could end up getting worse sound with a better pair of speakers if the receiver is super cheap. If you have a Jensen with a separate car amp, you can replace that and it will make a HUGE difference. I would do that before you change out the speakers. There is one simple rule for audio quality, you have to pay if you want to play. A better car receiver will have a more powerful output signal, which will amplify much better than a weaker one. High end Eclipse and Alpine decks have 5V or more outputs, where I would bet the Jensen is less than a volt. It is like anything else, garbage in, garbage out. Good luck and have fun with it!

mmomega

AnyTimer
First off, very nice little system you have there Terry and great job installing. This may be one of the first upgrades I do with the new trailer and just craigslist the stock system.

Dave49

I have a Bose system that is just sitting in storage. I would really like to put this unit in my 3670 2011 BH. Problem that I see with it is the fact that Bose is a system that must be kept in tact. So that also means its Bose speaker wires are needed also. I don't want to have speaker wires exposed and have no idea how I could hide these especially with the unit being in the entertainment center slide out. Also the subwoofer for the Bose is rather large and not even sure where the subwoofer for my existing system is, although I got an idea its behind the fireplace. Anyone ever done this? Hate having that expensive system sitting and not being used.

Thanks
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, your rig is a 2011 which has a laminated foam roof. They may just have a raceway carved out to run the speaker wires. Check that and maybe you could just fish the wires through. Another thing to consider is that your Bose speakers are going to be much heavier than the speakers provided in your 3670. I would be cautious of mounting them to the ceiling. And yes the sub woofer is behind the fireplace.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Speaker wiring for units with the laminated roof system most likely have those wires come out the side of the roof and are splice at the top of the fixed wall. Don't think anything new could be pulled through and tugging on the wires just might disrupt the splice made at the wall, if that's where it is. Be careful :)

One might be able to push wiring from the speaker locations to the wall and pull it out behind the trim/molding inside where the wall meets the ceiling, then run the wiring behind that trim to the back wall. Then down the corner, through the floor, into the underbelly, out the frame, through the wiring flex guards and up into the entertainment center - whew! But it could be done :)