Satellite on 2011 3850

pineguy

Just upgraded the coax wiring to get satellite to my TV's in the coach.

Since I ordered a bedroom TV from factory I thought I would have a connection for satellite in the bedroom. I assumed wrong.:(

After looking at the wiring diagram posted on this site and looking around the coach I figured it would not be too hard to add a couple runs from the UDC to the bedroom.

Just to mention though, the coax wiring diagram does not seem correct. It shows a run with a splitter to the cargo bay and living room tv. The run with the splitter does not go to the living room TV whatsoever and with a splitter in line a satellite receiver will not work anyway.

We routed coax up to the top shelf to the left of the bedroom tv. (1 line for satellite incoming and 1 line for outgoing to back feed the living room tv). The lines can be fished up by the sewer pipe for washer dryer prep and then up between the wall of the dresser and cupboard into the top shelf. We did the 2 lines because we figured we would only ever need the 1 receiver and in the 3850 there is no place to put a receiver where an Infared Remote would work. With the receiver in the bedroom the IR remote still works from the living room, just have to point it towards the bedroom:rolleyes:

Since the line for the living room tv is at the UDC just join the coax coming back from the bedroom to the line for the living room. If you wanted your cargo bay hooked up too you would just have to add a splitter to this line and it would be good to go.

I drilled a 1" hole between the cupboards to route the cables from the receiver to the TV compartment. Then behind the TV I drilled a 2 3/4" hole into the black back board to bring the cables to the TV and to plug the receiver into the outlet that is already there. I drilled such a large hole because I had a cable grommet that is used for computer desks so it looked like the hole should be there. No cables are visible at all.

While I was up there too I added blocking for the screws of the straps to hold the TV in place as they would not hold anything, they are just into 1/8" plywood. Also adjusted the angle of the TV by 1/2" with some blocking so it is a little more comfortable to lie in bed and watch, and four 3" screws into the blocking to hold the tv a little more secure as mine was about to fall off. :rolleyes:

Just a side note too, the TV antenna booster switch is behind the bedroom TV. Have to take the TV off to turn on the booster, could they not have found a little more of a convenient spot?

R.Pratt

I have a 2010 3850 and it had sat and cable piped from the factory, I did not use the factory wiring at the rear tv and when they did the dish install because of my A/C in the bedroom and fantastic fan in bathroom they had to install the dish over the garage. I had them run the cable to the bedroom for the control box and it uses the coaches wiring for the front tv. you will see how far back the dish is but honestly other than the cables on the roof i really like it there, it is fully automatic and takes a few mins to track all the sat's and its done i just switch the unit on and im good. If i would have been a simpler man i would have left the original stereo but it sucked, i installed a Harmon Kardon 347 in the loft and re-wired the entire coach including the sub and the two out side speakers to run from the head unit, also put in an IR repeater and a blu-ray under the cabinet. The original stereo location was a great place for the WII and behind the TV the X-box fits nicely, you just need to pull the tv out to switch disks, booo
the next mod will be the temp sensor and SMS warning system, dogs have to be comfortable if we are gone and if the temp gets too hot or too cold it will send me a SMS to all the phone numbers listed in its directory and i can get back before its too late!

Enjoy, I envy your new rig, did they finally change the basement latches and put on hyd jacks yet? electric jacks are too slow and too weak