Slide Awnings Going Bad!

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
We have had our Landmark (#401 ) for 14 months and have camped in it for about 12 weeks now. The slides have been in for most of the down time. When we went camping at Myrtle Beach last week I noticed small pin holes in two of the awning and some places look like the awning is coming apart. We have had slide awning before and have never had this problem! What will Heartland or the supplier of them do for me now that my year warranty is up? Thanks for your attention on this matter!
Ken Washington

Scott

Ken,
I am going to tell you that Dometic/A&E is a great manufacturing partner of ours and I am confident that you can get a new awning. Besides, I am pretty sure their warranty on their awnings is at least 2 years and possibly 3 years.
You can go through Heartland's system to get it replaced, or you can contact Dometic/A&E directly (their 800 number is in your owners manual).

ST

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Scott
I own a 2005 Mt. Rushmore which I purchased in Nov, 2004. We are I guess what you would call weekend campers. Sometimes we do have the slides out for longer periods. I too have a slide awning(topper) that is cracking. I checked the paperwork that came with mine,and if I read it right there is only a 1 year warranty on the toppers. If there is only a 1 year warranty on the topper with Dometic, will Heartland pay for the replacement when I take my unit to Bill Plemmons RV next week for some other work? Also, one other question. Under the Off door side slide out, there is a roller that is splintering up the underside of the slideout. Do you have any idea what the problem might be?I have read from other posts that this is somewhat of a serious problem that needs to be taken care of quickly. I plan on letting Russ,at Bill Plemmons, look at it next week, but I wondered what you thought.

Tom of Ypsi

Terry & Renee,
I also have a 2005, Mt Rushmore purchased in Feb 2005, serial # 9284. While under your off door slide check out your gas line or more specifically the support belt for the gas line. My support belt broke in at least three places and when putting the slide either in or out the gas line got severed. The gas line is a simple fix but waiting for a return phone call from Jim Fenner to see what we can do about a new support belt. This is the first I have heard of this problem and hopefully the only one but it is worth checking out for safety reasons.
Tom

trdeal

Tom of Ypsi said:
Terry & Renee,
I also have a 2005, Mt Rushmore purchased in Feb 2005, serial # 9284. While under your off door slide check out your gas line or more specifically the support belt for the gas line. My support belt broke in at least three places and when putting the slide either in or out the gas line got severed. The gas line is a simple fix but waiting for a return phone call from Jim Fenner to see what we can do about a new support belt. This is the first I have heard of this problem and hopefully the only one but it is worth checking out for safety reasons.
T
tT
om
Thanks Tom, I will check out the gas line tomorrow. I don't think I have a problem, but I will check and see.

Scott

Regarding the awning topper "cracking", as I mentioned above, I know that Dometic has longer than one year warrantys on most of their products (a/c; toilet; refer) I will have to check out your statement on the awnings.

On the slide-out floor, there might be a screw that has worked its way up that is causing the tearing away of the plastic coating on the underside of the floor. There is a repair for this, but you need to make sure you get that screw head, or whatever the obstruction is, taken care of before the repair is done. This particular issue looks worse than it is, as the slide-out floor is a one inch thick piece of wood - so the funtion of the slide-out should not be inhibited. But it does look bad when that white coating gets torn off under there.

trdeal

Scott,thanks for your quick reply. You are right. when you see something like the wood splintering underneath the slide out, it is a little worrysome. Thanks for making me feel better about the problem. Thanks also for checking on the warranty for the awning topper. Your quick response to our questions is another reason why I am glad we purchased a Heartland.

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
Thanks for your reply! Please let me know about the warranty on my slide awning topper.
Ken

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
On 04-05-2006 in the Bighorn Ask The Factory you said that the warranty was "3 years on the awnings and slide toppers". If that is still true than I can call Bill Plemmons and make an appointment to get them fixed. Is this right?
Ken

Scott

Dometic and A&E Warranties

Here's what I found out from Dometic today - they have a 3-year warranty on just about everything - except slide-topper awnings which only have a one year warranty. Even their regular patio awnings have 3-years.

Sorry for the miscommunication. When every other product we use of theirs has a 3-year warranty - this one-year warranty on the slide-toppers is a surprise.

ST

Here's the type from the Dometic Web Site:

Awning Warranties
A&E Systems Patio Awnings
Awnings included under our Protection Plus 3-Year Warranty include:

LA03 Power Awning

WeatherPro Power Awning

Two Step Patio Awning

9000 Series Patio Awning

8500 Series Patio Awning

Sunchaser Patio Awning

Horizon Awning

Trimline Awning

A&E Systems Accessory Products
A 1-year limited warranty is provided on these A&E Systems products:

Catalina 2500 Awning

SlideTopper Awnings

Window Awnings

Door Awnings

Patty O'Room

Patty O'Mat

Patty O'Shade

ProShade

Refrigerator Warranties
Yes, It's Covered
Dometic's founders invented the absorption cooling systems used in today's Rv's over 80 years ago. That's why we can offer such a strong warranty - 3 years parts & freight plus 2 years labor. And, there's extended service available as an option. Stay on-line or call us to purchase an additional 3 years of coverage that will maximize your warranty to a full 6 years of parts, labor and freight. It's protection with peace of mind.

Microwave Warranties
Try To Beat Our Microwave Warranty!
Not even the off-brand models can match our 3-year Protection Plus microwave warranty.

Dometic microwaves are protected with a 3-year limited warranty that covers parts, labor and freight.

Climate Control Warranties
Duo-Therm Climate Control Products
A 3-year limited warranty applies to the following Duo-Therm products:

Penguin low profile AC's and heat pumps

Brisk Air std profile AC's and heat pumps

Duo-Therm basement AC's and heat pumps

The Toilet has a 3year warranty

trdeal

Ken Washington said:
Scott,
On 04-05-2006 in the Bighorn Ask The Factory you said that the warranty was "3 years on the awnings and slide toppers". If that is still true than I can call Bill Plemmons and make an appointment to get them fixed. Is this right?
Ken
Ken, dropped my Mt. Rushmore off at BP this afternoon. Going to have several things looked. Asked them to check the cracking on my bedroom slide topper and replace if under warranty. I do have the extended warranty but do not know if the topper is covered under it.

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
When mine go bad, which they will, I'm changing to the ones that pitch up in the middle when they are out. This will eliminate the sag and water pooling that always happens. I'm not sure what the brand is, some of you will probably know.

trdeal

Saw these slide awnings advertised in Trailer Life not to long, but cannot find the magazine now.

trdeal

Ken Washington,
A few weeks ago you left Scott a post about the warranty coverage on you bedroom slide topper. We found out that Dometic only covers these toppers for 1 year. I took my unit into Bill Plemmons the other day, to have some other work done, and ask Russ to check if my extended warranty would cover the topper. He called me today and the answer is no. To replace the fabric was going to be $200-$300 , so I told him I would hold off till it got worse. But, they do have the heat pump installed and the Patio awning attached to my door side slide-out. Waiting on a few other parts covered by the warranty.. Hopefully,I will be able to get my Baby back home next week. Back yard looks empty without it sitting there.

ChopperBill

K

Ken Washington

Terry,
Please let me see pictures of the awning when you get it back. You will love the heat pump, we really like ours. We have not ran the furance since we got it execpt to see if it still works ok.

Ken

trdeal

Ken Washington said:
Terry,
Please let me see pictures of the awning when you get it back. You will love the heat pump, we really like ours. We have not ran the furance since we got it execpt to see if it still works ok.

Ken
I will be glad to take some pictures and post them. Or at least I will try to post them. I am not very good with this computer stuff. I think that we will really enjoy the extra awning. There are times at the campground where we go that we can not use the other awning because of a tree or etc. It will be nice to have the option of using the one on the slide.:D