Removing glass from fireplace?

ChopperBill

We have the new fire place with the controls on the bottom and the inside of the glass wasn't cleaned very well when it was assembled. I was going to remove it but ran into a problem. I am guessing (no manual along with some others missing) that you have to remove the "wood" trim frame to get at it like our older Dimplex fire place. But instead of screws it seems to be pin nailed to the cabinet. Do I just pull the trim off and hope for the best or is there a better way to get to the glass?

caissiel

mine has screws with wooden cap covers over the screws. I to removed it and cleaned under the cabinet. I removed it to run more wires in the cabinet behing the FP.

Rickhansen

Retired for fun,
Mine is the Dimplex and the trim is held by 4 screws, like Caissiel said. It's hard to believe they would have not made yours more servicable. Have you checked the manufacturers website or Googled the manufacturer and model to see if you can find any other info?

ChopperBill

Our "06" had the 4 plugs with screw under them. Easy to do. None on this new one. I pulled on one edge of the frame work and saw a pin nail start to pull through so I quit and am looking for the answer to removal. Guessing I just have to pull it off and repair the nail holes?

We have a 2010---3670 and according to the manual on fireplace----use a small putty knife and slowly pull the "wood" trim away from the frame. I have not tried this as yet because I am afraid that the "wood" trim will split??. I did post this question on the forum a few months back and someone did repsond that they could gently pull off the trim----not sure how to find that post.
al

Will give it a tug. I am up in the summer spot with the BH now so I dont want to screw something up that I cant readily fix. I think it will go back with Velcro or I get some wood plugs and and screw it back on.

ChopperBill

Got the "wood" frame off. Used a plastic spatula and worked it around the edges. Removed and cleaned glass. Raised the fireplace up 3/8 inch. The bottom door would barely open to get at the controls. It hits the wood frame. Opens a little farther now. I think the fireplace looks better without the "wood" frame. However, the installer got a little rambunctious with the nail gun on the top of the frame and there is a small chip in the facing of the wood. May get some colored putty and fix it and leave the frame off. A couple of pieces of Velcro is keeping the frame on for now.

Cimriver

I just installed a fireplace in my Elkridge. I managed to find the fireplace model number. The installation was pretty easy as I put it in the spot that Heartland does. I also purchased the mantle from Heartland. I installed several magnets on the mantle so that I can easily remove it for servicing/cleaning.

ParkIt

Got the "wood" frame off. Used a plastic spatula and worked it around the edges. Removed and cleaned glass. Raised the fireplace up 3/8 inch. The bottom door would barely open to get at the controls. It hits the wood frame. Opens a little farther now. I think the fireplace looks better without the "wood" frame. However, the installer got a little rambunctious with the nail gun on the top of the frame and there is a small chip in the facing of the wood. May get some colored putty and fix it and leave the frame off. A couple of pieces of Velcro is keeping the frame on for now.

Sounds like I'll need to do the same thing, thanks for posting up how you got it off and raising it up, same issue with accessing the controls & fingerprints *inside* the glass with no easy way to get to it.