5th Airborne vs. Moryde (A Review)

Yianni

Back in April we went to Moro Bay, Ca for spring break. I had never really noticed but my wife said the chucking was really starting to bother her. We have some pretty bad roads in California. I should mention this is on a 2010 Cyclone 3010. So without doing any research(unlike me) I get on the phone to Tweety's and order a Moryde pin box. I installed it and away we go. The ride was better but not great. You could still feel the chucking but it was dampened. You know that chart your doctor shows you to determine pain level with the 10 faces ranging from smiley to full of pain? The wife's is at about 5 with the Moryde. So when we got home I did some research and kept coming up with the 5th Airborne. I bit the bullet and ordered one. We just got back from a trip this weekend on the same road and WOW. What a difference. It took a little trial and error to find the right inflation for the air bag but once I set that the chucking has virtually been eliminated and the up and down road shock is smooth. Coming home today the chart would have been at smiley face. She couldn't believe the difference. I also like the fact the factory fairing will fit over the 5th Airborne.
So to sum it up, the 5th Airborne won hands down over the Moryde but this is with our particular trailer and truck setup. The Moryde is probably ideal for other setups but ours worked best with the 5th Airborne.
You'll know if you need a pin cushion if your wife is not happy!

Yianni

So you have both air on pin box and hitch?

No, sorry, let me clarify. The 5th Airborne has an air bag for the up and down bumps and a shock absorber for the front to back. It just took a couple of adjustments to get the airbag to where we liked it. My hitch is a Reese Signature 18,000.

Yianni

What did you do with your Mor-Ryde pinbox?

It's going to have to go to my favorite place to sell things, Craig's List. I've sold everything I've ever put on there including just recently my old trailer tires and wheels.
I know I'll take a little loss but sure am happy I decided to roll the dice on the 5th Airborne. We have some really long trips coming up this Summer so it will be good to have a nice ride.

watchthebox

Thanks for the review, Yianni! I've done a lot of research into replacement pin boxes like those, but never reached a conclusion. Right now, chucking's not too bad. At some point I plan on getting one, and after your review, will probably choose the 5th Airborne. Just out of curiosity, does your 2010 Cyclone 3010 have the Dexter EZ-Flex on it, or did they just add that for the 2011 model? I don't know if that helps with chucking or not, but my Cyclone seems to ride pretty smooth.

Bighurt

Thanks for the write-up!

After my first trip in my rig, I'm thinking I need to get something...

At 65mph cruising the chucking is barely noticable all three kids and the wife fell asleep for an hr on during the drive. However in town on less than ideal roads between 25mph and 40mph it can be annoying. I figure After the engine tuner and generator a new pin box will be next on the list.

Yianni

What pressure did you end up with in the air bag?

The instructions recommended 80 to 100 psi as a start with a max of 120. On the ride up I had 90 in the bag and we got bounced around pretty good. Coming home I put it at 77 and it rode very well.

Yianni

Thanks for the review, Yianni! I've done a lot of research into replacement pin boxes like those, but never reached a conclusion. Right now, chucking's not too bad. At some point I plan on getting one, and after your review, will probably choose the 5th Airborne. Just out of curiosity, does your 2010 Cyclone 3010 have the Dexter EZ-Flex on it, or did they just add that for the 2011 model? I don't know if that helps with chucking or not, but my Cyclone seems to ride pretty smooth.

I missed the EZ Flex on my Cyclone by about a month. I did just install it myself a few weeks ago so I do have the EZ Flex and 5th pin box combo. My chucking was not too bad either but you could feel it on the rough roads. It was bothering my wife a bit so I thought I'd try to smooth it out a little.. I think you'll always have a little chucking and bounce because you are after all towing a 12,000 lb plus trailer behind you but it really made for a much better ride. The Moryde is also heavy at 180 lbs vs. the 5th 130 lbs. and with the Cyclone I didn't need more pin weight.

Smokeyfl

If you take off the cover, there will be a nameplate with the model number attached to the pin box.

We also put on a 5th airborne over the winter. Took a trip to Pinks all Out in Maple Grove couple weeks ago and what a difference. The pain in the neck was gone.

One thing I did notice is that the Airborne comes down a little more than the Lippert so I will need to take my 5th wheel down a notch to get it back to level.

noobee

The instructions recommended 80 to 100 psi as a start with a max of 120. On the ride up I had 90 in the bag and we got bounced around pretty good. Coming home I put it at 77 and it rode very well.

With my AirBorne, I initially put in 100psi and once fully hooked up I let out enough air until the indicator on the shock hits the 'sweet spot'.

Eh!

talley

Mor/Ryde solved the chucking problem on our 2006 Big Horn 3655 @ 14,000 lbs. However, have experienced brief verticle bounce occasionally on a really bad section of pavement.

Love Morro Bay... and the coffee/pastry shop near waterfront. Nice and relaxing location... don't know about Spring Break though!

wdk450

Love Morro Bay... and the coffee/pastry shop near waterfront. Nice and relaxing location... don't know about Spring Break though!

Say Hi to Jack LaLane (He retired there).
The central coast REALLY gets frantic/crowded during the summer when the Fresno/Bakersfield temperatures hit 100+ degrees, and its 70 degrees where you are.

talley

Missed Jack La Lane when we were there two years ago. The life style and pace of the area probably added to his longivity...