Towing a Cyclone 4012

mrhits

Last week I came upon a Cyclone too good to pass up. So I bought a Cyclone 4012. The problem being I had not yet bought my tow rig! Needless to say, I am now searching high and low. I think I found it, but would like to get some advice from the RV vets.

I am considering puchasing a

2001 F-350 Dually with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel and auto trans.

Would this be sufficient to tow a beast as big as the Cyclone 4012? If not, any suggestions for something that won't break the bank too hard?

jimtoo

Hi mrhits,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

You will get lots of opinions about tow vehicles.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

crazybanshee

mrhits you purchased a heavy trailer. Ours loaded weighs 18,600 total and has a pin weight of 4300lbs. If you want to be safe go with a F450. I wouldn't pull ours with my F350. JMO
Doug

I bought my 08' 4012 this year. I had a 99 ford 7.3 dually i was going to use but ended up getting a 08' 450 (still have the 99). But like it was said, this trailer is pretty heavy without anything in it. If you cannot find a 450. I would look into trucks that are 05' and up, they have a higher tow rating. There is a 450 for sale on here. Good luck.

beasleyrl

mrhits - I have an 09 3912 and would second what is stated above. My rig (trailer only) weighed in on the scales at about 17,500 pounds WITHOUT any toys and only a limited amount of water in the tanks. I am pulling with an 07 Chev Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison. While the truck seems to have plenty of power to pull it, I am technically over weight. The biggest issue I notice is that when I go through the mountains, my transmission does read very close to red line but never seems to hit it. My next tow vehicle will be a 450 or something like it just to play it safe.

mrhits

What about a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with a 5.9 cummins 6sp. I'v looked for a f450 and am not seeing anything sub $20,000 which is about my price range for a TV.

mrhits

I just bought the TV:

A 2008 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed automatic, engine exhaust brake, quad cab, big horn. :)

PUG

Pug
Good choice. I pull my 3950 with an 09 Ram, 1 ton, dually, Cummins and it pulls down the road like the trailer isn't there. I hope yours is a dually as it is much more stable and safer.

DW_Gray

You won't be disappointed. I've got the same truck and have been towing my 4012 for a little over 4,000 miles the past 9 months. I do recommed adding some air bags just for a little more lift and stability.