how long to travel

cableman

I was thinking of a trip and was wondering how many miles, and hours do you travel in one day.

tmcran

Depending on the conditions we try to limit to about 325 max. In Texas you can do a little more as the roads are good and the driving is easy. Not like going over mountains are dealing with all the trucks on I-40 in Tennessee.

caissiel

I usualy travel 10hrs per day, I try to stop early if I get tired. But since retired we take 5 days instead of 3 days to get home from Florida. Its over 2000 miles.

trvlrerik

I like to limit my days at around 400 miles. It ties in with my fuel range, I like to fuel up before stopping for the night, and stopping early I am not in a rush to set up the camper for an overnight stop. This also allows time for unplanned stops along the way.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
usually drive 8 hrs a day at the most. We stop once an hour for a pee break. Stop at quilt shops, the odd wally world and of course Ham Radiostores. Don't really care how many miles per day. Smell the flowers when possible

Tom of Ypsi

Since we are retired and fulltimers it all depends on weather and where we are. We usually try to travel no more than 200 to 250 miles per day. We usually leave between 8-9 am and like to be parked around 2 pm. So much fun watching others coming in and sometimes where no reservations are required we get the best sites, first come first served.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Wow.. I guess I am just an old retired fuddy duddy.. Our absolute longest distance is to try to keep it under 250mi. Here are some of the last distances we traveled and what we plan next.
198, 97, 179, 190 to where we are now, then 167 To Keywest, 209 back north, 182 to Orlando. We only travel on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sunday is to go to church.

That gives us one day to see what is in the local area. You would be surprised what we have run into while just riding around looking for something interesting..

If your fulltiming what's the hurry, but if your still in the rat race I do understand the long drives.
Hurry up and retire. We need to get all the older folks on the highways. Maybe we can start a convoy and draw some attention to show that we are still on the move and not in the rocking chair.

BC

lhetsler

We are retired but have an 11 year old so she is still in school. I have a 5 week trip planned out to Colorado from Ohio and we will travel between 325 and 400 mi with two days camping in between. So pretty leasurely. This will be after school is out. Otherwise I force myself to drive 8 to 10 hours a day, but I hate doing that, but must to have a full two weeks and three weekends on spring break from school. Sometimes we will pull her out of school for an extra week. Once we get this one off to college, I like the 200 mile a day rule with an overnite in between. Mostly our trips are not a final destination in and of themselves. We will go to a certain area of the country and stay in one place no more than 4 or five days and move to another area.

Wharton

Many retirees use the 2x2 or 3x3 rule of thumb. 200 miles or 2 PM, 300 mile or 3 PM. Whichever comes first. This works great and you have the fun of watching all the rigs coming into the CG from 4-6 PM while you sit under your awning sipping your drink. You are retired, what is the rush.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've been using the 300 miles or 3PM rule and it works great! We don't rush to get away and take frequent breaks during the drive.

mikeandconnie

I just hauled from west coast to east coast. I'm a Newbee and this was my first long trip , my longest day was 800 miles , I have to say it was no fun, my wife was ready to kill me after 500 miles, so the last 300 miles were H..., I will stick with the pros and only do 400 to 500 miles in a day , 12 hours max. In a F350 you will be ready to stop after 10 hours on the Interstate Roads. Check the route thread and stay away from 59 South at Fort Payne.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It all depends on where I am going and why I am going there. 300 by 3pm is a good rule, but if I see the weather is going to be bad later and I can get another 100 to stay out of it then I will go for it. We try not to travel is weather will be an issue. But I have (in my younger days) driven 900 miles in 1 day. That is a long stupid drive. We try to get though large cities in the early afternoon so we will not have to start out in the morning driving through a large city. Normal morning start time is between 8 and 9 am.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For us, a lot depends on the availability of decent RV parks, traffic, weather and even tourist stuff. I like to plan anywhere from 250 to 350 but will go more if I want to get to a certain point and can leave early enough to get done traveling by 5PM. I guess our average is 300 a day. Certainly a lot less than I used to do when I was young and full of energy. Now I rely on No Doz