Ford Excursion

amp1683

We have a 2011 Trail Runner 30FQBS, and are looking at purchasing a Ford Excursion was curious what experience anyone had with towing with an Excursion and if anybody forsees any issues towing this camper with an Excursion.

Amp - if these specs are right, SPECIFICATIONS: GVWR 11,226 lbs. Approx. Hitch Weight 780 lbs., you are probably going to struggle with RGAWR. We have a NT 31QBS with a GVWR of 6900lbs and 675lb hitch weight (unloaded). I have to tow "empty" in the Excursion except for passengers and what we use driving down the road (cooler, dvds for the kids) to stay under the Excursion's RGAWR - and my wife and two girls don't break 250 pounds between them.

The Excursions theorectical tow capacity is 11,000 lbs in most applications I've seen. I found a GREAT rule of thumb is that your tow capacity in an ideal world should be GVWR of the trailer plus load capacity of the TV. In this case, that would be 11,226lbs plus 2002 Excursion Limited 7.3L payload of 1500 lbs = 12,726. This would put you in a position that your potential load is greater than the capacity of the Excursion - and that's before factoring in hill climbs, etc. We tow at 16k CVW and while the performance of the Excursion is fine (I don't need anymore power), I do have to watch the tranny temps on climbs in Colorado - particularly any state highway winding roads - those can be a killer. Not sure what hills you may plan to see on your drives, but that may be a consideration.

I hope that helps.

Ernie & Lettie

We own a 2002 excursion, v-10, 4x4. Ford dealer says legal towing capacity is 10,100 lbs. We have a 2008 North Country 29rls, gvw 10,400 lbs Truck weighs with full gas tank 7440 lbs, no pass, trailer loaded, [no water in tanks] 8420 lbs so going down road with wife, dog, food clothes, we weigh 16,400 lbs Truck does not have a problem towing the trailer. total length is 57 feet long. Fuel mileage is right around 9 mpg. Keep it at 62 mph, and have a sway bar and weight dist hookup, and airbags.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The Excursion is a very heavy SUV which doesn't leave a lot of room for tongue weight. Scott92 is right on the money. Power and braking should be adequate but you'll be very near max or over depending on your cargo and passengers.

porthole

Retired
If the Excursion is a diesel I would try and get a detailed history. Lot of auto trans problems.
My camping buddy had been through 5 transmissions before he gave up, sold the TT (to me, 29DBS Sunnybrook) and bought a GMC DRW and 5th wheel trailer.

No trans problems since he stopped towing.