Brakes,tires, is all lost?

Dave42

Hi All,
This is a rant. '09 3055. Has about 6,000 miles and of course almost all on the interstates. Getting ready for a looong trip and pulled right-front wheel to examine brakes and bearings. Plenty of shoe lining there but little pieces of it are chunked out and the drum definitely needs turning. The right-front tire has about 1/8" less tread on the outside tread. Pulled the right-rear wheel and it is not so bad and the tire seems o.k. We can't get into a shop before trip, so plan to replace shoes and let the drums go until we return. My son is helping me but I don't want the trailer on 4 jack stands in our steep drive way. The tire? Only thing I know to do is rotate it with a better one. Possibly rotate again in Montana or Alaska? I have super carefully kept tire pressure at 80#s. Took a trip to Texas last winter and the trailer pulled horribly. We try to run 62mph unless windy and then try for 55+. The slightest wind, even an overtaking automobile pushed us around.
I wonder if the axel is bent? What kind of shop would determine that? I will never allow another ST tire on the camper. LT only from here on. If you can't tell by now, I am really P.O.ed.
Have a nice day.
Dave

Netem

I would check to see if the U bolts have came loose and maybe let the axel move. Measure between the tires on both sides and see if they match.

RollingHome

Dave, if you put new brake linings on/in a drum that needs turning, I believe you will wipe out the shoes rather quickly. I would pull the drums and have them turned at a shop that is set up for turning drums. Perhaps a truck repair shop. A truck repair shop can also answer your axle questions. Last choice, take the drums to a machine shop. You don't want to have this done in the middle of no where. Just a friendly suggestion.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The axles are bent or arched when made to compensate for the weight under use. You can check alignment fairly easy yourself on a level surface with a level, string, streight edge, chalk and tape measure. (transfer all points to the ground and mark them with chalk, then take measurements for square from the king pin.). If the unit stops ok I'd wouldnt mess with the brakes unless you inspect and change all 4.
I'm surprised the RV get pushed around so easily, you might want to take a look at the condition of your truck tires, shocks, air bags since its 10 years old.