Towing Sundance with F450 4x4

frumbawa

Hi All,

Seeking feedback from the experts.

I currently tow my Sundance with the Ford in my sig - 4x2, 16 inch wheels on the truck and 16 inch wheels on the Sundance. When hooked up, everything sits pretty much level.

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2008 F450 4x4 for cheap but with 19.5 inch wheels and the extra height of the 4x4, I'm worried about bed rail clearance. Any of you out there towing a similar combination that can tell me I will be OK or if you had to modify your axle setup in any way? This truck is too good to pass up but if I have to dump all the savings into modifying the trailer, then I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Bighurt

The overall height of a 4x4 vs a 4x2 is only an inch or two, however between the body styles there maybe a difference. I would measure the bed rail height on the F450 vs your current rig, mt and get an idea of the actual difference. I think you'll be fine, what is your current bed rail clearance?

For perspective the guy who delivered my trailer towed it here with an 7.3 F350 4x2 DRW, unloaded he was substantially lower than my 6.4 F350 4x4 SRW, but the trailer rides perfectly level in my set-up. He just had his hitch maxed out in height while mine sits a bit lower. I do maintain 5+ inches of bed rail clearance.

trvlrerik

I would see how much adjustability you have in your hitch. Also your spring shackles may be adjustable also to allow for trailer height for level towing, so it may not cost anything adjusting to a new TV, just a little wrench time.

frumbawa

Thanks guys.

I currently have about 8 inches clearance between the bed rails and the bottom of the overhang so I do have some play there. I can also adjust the hitch. Not sure about the shackles though, I will have to look when I get home today. I am going to look at the truck again this weekend so I will definitely do some measuring.

Wish me luck, this truck is pretty nice.

Frank

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I had to make 1 3/4" axel blocks to get my Sundance level with the my 08 F-250 4x4 w/20" wheels. ( bought longer better quality u-bolts also). The top of my trucks hitch is 4' 4" with 6" clearance between the bed rails. If you do have to raise the RV its no big deal.

kerryb

I'm towing an Elkridge 35QSQB with a 4x4 F350 with 20" wheels. The top of the truck bed is approx. 60". Haven't had any problems.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
225/70R-19.5 tires are only 31.5" tall. Only about a 1/4" taller than the tires on my Dodge dually so tire height isn't an issue. What you gain with a 19.5 tire is load range an longer tire wear. The down side is these tires cost $250 - $400 EACH new and if you pop one on the road and need to get roadside assistance like I did last summer...... That tire cost me $600:mad:

I had no issues with hiting with my 2006 F360 dually 4x4 when I was transporting trailers with it. The 450' don't sit much higher and we have a few drivers using them.

Don't expect good fuel economy with the F450, every one I have talked to has been crying the blues there.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm towing an Elkridge 35QSQB with a 4x4 F350 with 20" wheels. The top of the truck bed is approx. 60". Haven't had any problems.

"top of the truck bed 60"!....wow can you post a photo of that? Is your Elkridge level?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hi All,

Seeking feedback from the experts.

I currently tow my Sundance with the Ford in my sig - 4x2, 16 inch wheels on the truck and 16 inch wheels on the Sundance. When hooked up, everything sits pretty much level.

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2008 F450 4x4 for cheap but with 19.5 inch wheels and the extra height of the 4x4, I'm worried about bed rail clearance. Any of you out there towing a similar combination that can tell me I will be OK or if you had to modify your axle setup in any way? This truck is too good to pass up but if I have to dump all the savings into modifying the trailer, then I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Thanks in advance.
I
Is the 08 450 a V-10 or diesel?

Dave012

My Sundance is a bit nose high on my F-350 which has 20 inch wheels, and I have a fairly high pin weight. However its not much off (maybe a couple of inches from front to back), and my back axle on the trailer is only about 300 lbs more weight than the front one. I have a Reese 18k slider hitch at its lowest setting and have about 6 inches of clearance to the bed rails.

Bighurt

According to their website, Ford only offers the F450 with the 6.7L in the 2011 models. 2008-2010 only came with the 6.4

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
According to their website, Ford only offers the F450 with the 6.7L in the 2011 models. 2008-2010 only came with the 6.4

The 2008 - 2010 F450 came with gas or diesel on the chassis cabs. IIRC from when I looked at them when the F450 pickup first came out the pickup version was only offered with the diesel engine. There are plenty of 08 - 10 chassis cabs on truck paper with gas engines.

frumbawa

I
Is the 08 450 a V-10 or diesel?

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I'm feeling much better about moving forward. The F450 I am looking at is a diesel. My current TV is a V10 gasser so even though the F450's don't get the best fuel mileage in the world, it couldn't be worse than I currently get with my gasser (please don't tell me I'm wrong).

WESTXSRT10 - What did you make the axle blocks out of?

Frank

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I'm feeling much better about moving forward. The F450 I am looking at is a diesel. My current TV is a V10 gasser so even though the F450's don't get the best fuel mileage in the world, it couldn't be worse than I currently get with my gasser (please don't tell me I'm wrong).

WESTXSRT10 - What did you make the axle blocks out of?

Frank
I have made a few differiant sets from welding 2 pieces angle iron to form a box, also bought a 6' stick of 1 1/2" x 1/4" square tubing pinned on one side and 9/16" hole on the opposite side to keep it in place.
You can't beat this forum for infomation on Ford trucks .http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php Most get 11 mpg towing with the Diesel, I got 9.2 mpg on or last 2500 mi trip with the gasser. Be sure to read up on the 6.4 Diesel.