Now she wants a Boat....

Bighurt

Maiden voyage...check...

First comment from Wife, "Could we could get a Boat?"

I about went off the handle till I found out she wanted....both!!!

Alright rough math gives us about 2.5K before we exceed the TV's tow rating, what kind of boat does she want and what comes under weight.

Answer is "I don't know" and not a lot.

She was thinking a small pontoon boat would fit the bill, the 18-20's are short enough to keep the train length down, and they are light enough to not tax the TV.

Anyone tandem towing a pontoon?

I have read a lot of bad things about towing pontoons in general let alone tandem towing. The are big, boxy and have huge blind spots.

Granted the Sundance is taller but I don't want to add too much drag. I was thinking a 16' fishing boat, but a fish/ski boat maybe a better sell. Again there is weight to consider.

I've never been a boat person so this is a new spectrum for me, but I'm willing to research the idea for the wife.

I think she is sold on the around the toon railing, like a built in playpen for the kids...

Welcoming all suggestions.

caissiel

We carry 2 off 8ft long Kayaks under the rear end of our BC trailer, I moved the spare to the front of the wheels to make room for 2 Kayaks behind the wheels. The 8' kayakes fit sideways and in no way they affect the towing mileage. The weight about 35# each and we can put them in the water anywhere boaters go. We have padelled a lot of rivers in Canada and eastern US.

RollingHome

Bighurt, if ya can swing it... go for it Dude ya only go thru once... On the other hand, get a boat ya can afford example, my last boat burnt 32 gallons an hour at $ 4.00/gallon on the Chesapeake Bay.... I could afford it - BUT - I didn't want to, that was beyond my limit ! One weekend would cost me $ 1,000.00 - some on this forum can do that... but, not me. You need to take your DW to more craft shows and get her involved with affordable endeavors. She needs some time to discover herself, IMO
PS I have a SeaRay Jet boat I'll sell ya for a song and a dance, trailer too...

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I don't see a problem with her wanting a boat. It's your perfect excuse to get a bigger truck and you're complaining. :confused: :D :angel:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 20ft pontoon (I don't haul it tandem), that I've pulled a few times on its highway trailer. Like pulling a billboard. If you think your rig cuts your mileage, a pontoon will do the same with less weight. I pulled it with my Chevy Avalanche and the mileage was the same as pulling our 27ft TT that weighed 3 times as much. Now I just leave it at the marina near where we park the BH for the summer. The lakes near home are mostly crowded puddles anyways.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Keep in mind the two happiest days in a boater's life: The day you buy it, and the day you sell it. We just sold ours last year after almost 20 years of boating. I'm now a VERY happy camper. Second thing to keep in mind BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. Oh yeah, third thing: BOAT = Hole in the water into which one pours money.

OK - that may all be a little over the top. But, I'm very happy to no longer have the boat upkeep.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Keep in mind the two happiest days in a boater's life: The day you buy it, and the day you sell it. We just sold ours last year after almost 20 years of boating. I'm now a VERY happy camper. Second thing to keep in mind BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. Oh yeah, third thing: BOAT = Hole in the water into which one pours money.

OK - that may all be a little over the top. But, I'm very happy to no longer have the boat upkeep.

Gus, That is so true.We will never go back to boating, I dont care how big it is. Talk about problems, when you have them out of site of land it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Oh Crap...".

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Been there, done that, a few times. I still wouldn't mind having another pontoon boat. Ours was a 22 ft. and the trailer was a bunk trailer rather than a lift trailer. The pontoons were saddled in bunks on each side. It was a very stable tow. JohnDar mentioned towing issues but I think behind a 5th wheel, the wind issue would be minimal if at all. As for the hole in the water? Ya have to have something to spend all your hard earned cash on, right? ;-)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it wasn't for the pontoon and the lakes up here, we probably never would have gotten the pop-up trailer, much less this BH. Actually, the pontoon is relatively low maintenance and I have the marina take care of it. All part of our "vacation" funds.

davebennington

If you think RV'ing and camping is expensive wait until you get a boat unless you have an unlimited budget you may have to get another job and another and another just to go and have fun.

Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
If you think RV'ing and camping is expensive wait until you get a boat unless you have an unlimited budget you may have to get another job and another and another just to go and have fun.

Dave

I realize the op was talking about a small boat but Dave, you are right. When we had our boat down at the shore, I could go out and in weekend burn 300 gallons of fuel with out even trying. Guess what THAT costs to fuel up. OUCH :(

But even small boats cost money. If you think things that say RV on them are expensive, see what they cost when they say MARINE. And there are a lot more toys for a boat than there are for RV's