Route through or around Houston to San Antonio

mikeandconnie

Hello Folks,

I'm towing a 38 footer to San Antonio from Georgia next week and need some route info going through or around Houston. This my first time driving in Houston so I'm note sure which road to take to avoid heavy traffic. Coming in on I10

Thanks
MIke

jimtoo

Hi Mike,

There is no way around Houston with out driving a couple hundred miles out of your way. The best way is just stay on I 10 straight through. Just plan your trip so that you hit outside between 9 am and 11;30.... or 1;30 and no later than 4 pm. You should be OK...probably will never see below 50mph.

Jim M

tmcran

I-10 will be ok as long as you don't hit an accident or something like that. Try to go through between 10 AM amid 2 PM. The road construction on the West end of I-10 is finished. No problem there. I would not recommend 610.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The other alternate would be to take Beltway 8 on the east and follow it around to where it joins I10 on the west side of town. Beltway 8 is a tollroad from I45 to I10 west and you biggest holdups will be at the toll plazas. After spending 28 years as a Houston Cop I would try to go through Houston on a Sunday morning if possible or if not then on a weekday between 9am to 11am or 1pm to 3pm. Any other time you will find much traffic. For the best traffic reports tune your radio to AM 790 KTRH if you don't have a satellite traffic radio. There are some places where the lanes are not marked very far ahead so look way up ahead if possible and drive in the middle (#2 or 3 lane) Good luck.

mikeandconnie

Thank you all for the info. Being my first trip through Houston. I think I will stay on I10, but drive it at 3:00 am. The traffic I hope will be good at this time. Thanks Again
Mike

Wharton

Definitely drive in the middle lane. Ihave found that Houston has what I call the disappearing right lane. You are driving in it find and all of a sudden it becomes an exit lane to start up again on the far side of the exit. Frustrated me to no end until I figured out that I should never drive in the right lane.

mikeandconnie

Thank You all for the help,
We made it through Houston, I'm glade I remenbered staying in the center lane. We drove it at 11 PM, I10 was closed down town, so we were routed via 610.. lot of merging and ending lanes. Luckley my wife was behind me in the car to open the right hand lanes for me. I may take the loop next time, there are too many exit only lanes for me.
Mike

Wharton

The loop is somewhat better but where 290 and 610 come together you need to cross 3-4 lanes of traffic to continue on 610. Just poor design, for whatever reason the main road at that intersection is considered 290(state hwy) rather than 610.