Center Point Suspension System- Shocks or No Shocks

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi,
Just a little note here. I just had the Center Point Suspension installed by a Lippert technician, and just last week he fixed an air leak in one of the connections to the air bags. He told me Lippert does not recommend shocks to be installed with this system, even though the Trail Air Center Point Suspension installation manual, recommends them. This is a quote from the installation guide straight from trailair.com : Trailair strongly recommends the use of shock absorbers in conjunction with Center Point but they are not required. Trailair does not supply shock absorbers because Center Point is not designed structurally to handle shock absorber mountings. If the coach is not equipped with shock absorbers, please refer to the trailer manufacturer for information on shock absorbers and/or the mountings available for the particular trailer.

So Trail Air (owned by Lippert) recommend shocks on one hand and then tell you that CP isn't designed structurally to support the mountings. Hello? This is the link to CP installation manual:
http://www.trailair.com/products/centerpoint/cp_install_guide_sm.pdf

I think Lippert management should talk to Trail Air and decide who is correct, shocks or no shocks, that is the question? It appears that whoever installs this suspension system does it their own way. Dragoon had supported mountings as well as OEM shocks installed from Standen in Calgary, which is a huge RV operation. Any comments?

lwmcguir

We have the 3.75 inch brakes so there is no room for shocks. Don't miss them at all with the CP. Left a coffee mug on the counter and drove 200 miles on back roads and I80. Mug was still there when we opened the door. Also use air bags and drive carefully as possible.

Larryheadhunter

I should add to my original post that since Lippert didn't recommend shocks, they installed the "poor mans" solution of CP suspension without them. I also have a Mor/Ryde Pin Cushion. Since I have a new Hensley TS3 air bag hitch, I seem good to go. As many of us have bad backs I am looking for the smoothest ride possible for the least amount of coin.

RoadJunkie

I was sitting here wondering what harm does it do to leave installed shocks on the frame. Clearly if your tires are rubbing, then the shocks would be sacrificed for the sake of the tires. But still there are opinions that shocks mounted at the current angle are useless and could therefore be removed. Conventional wisdom, based on how we typically see shocks mounted on vehicles, says the shocks are mounted in such a manner that renders them useless. But it clearly costs Lippert some amount of money to procure and install the shocks, so I wonder why they would spend that money when they are "useless". Are they useless, or do they become useless, as a result of fatigued leaf springs which may cause the center shaft to bend? Anyway, I have to know why a fence was put up before I tear it down. So, does anyone know what mass dampening or suspension tuning is accomplished through installation of the shocks in the first place?

Bobby A

Well, I'm not sure if the shocks do anything or not, I can only report that I had my c/p installed about a month ago at a Lippert facility in Ocala Fl. it was shipped from Lippert plant in Indiana and to my surprise the c/p system came with brand new shocks that were installed with the c/p unit, when I questioned the tech doing the install, he just said, he is installing what was shipped to him. Take it for what it worths.

Tankie

I had an older 5th wheel that needed to have the axles flipped to be able to tow with the newer trucks. The shop that did the work said I would lose because of the angle that they would end up at. My shocks were bent at the lower mount see pic.
If anyone thinks these shocks were working I have some property ocean front property to sell you in AZ.
I for one think shocks are a good thing, Henderson Line-up is going to move the upper mount up the frame to stand the shock more vertical.
The only way these shocks could compress is to have the axles move back and forth.

HPIM0348.jpgHPIM0341.jpg
HPIM0344.JPGHPIM0347.jpg

boatdoc

I was sitting here wondering what harm does it do to leave installed shocks on the frame. Clearly if your tires are rubbing, then the shocks would be sacrificed for the sake of the tires. But still there are opinions that shocks mounted at the current angle are useless and could therefore be removed. Conventional wisdom, based on how we typically see shocks mounted on vehicles, says the shocks are mounted in such a manner that renders them useless. But it clearly costs Lippert some amount of money to procure and install the shocks, so I wonder why they would spend that money when they are "useless". Are they useless, or do they become useless, as a result of fatigued leaf springs which may cause the center shaft to bend? Anyway, I have to know why a fence was put up before I tear it down. So, does anyone know what mass dampening or suspension tuning is accomplished through installation of the shocks in the first place?

Lippert spends about $2.00 on the shocks, then they sell them to the manufacturer for about $4.00 and then the manufacturer sells them to our dealer for about $8.00 and then the dealer sells them to us for about $200.00 and then we take them off and throw them out becuase they're junk and kill the China Bombs.

Larryheadhunter

So are shocks necessary to soften the ride with the Center Point Suspension? If so, the shock mountings would have to be lifted so there would more of an up and down dampening affect vs. the almost horizontal positioning when built. Ironic that when my rear springs broke, the shocks were demolished. So I don't know what to tell the CP installer, I want or don't want shocks, that is the danm question? And how much does the mounting and new OEM shocks cost? And is it worth the dough?

I found this on Gabreil.com.
Shocks
The primary purpose of a shock is to hold tires to the road, giving passengers a safer, smoother ride. They aren't just for comfort - they affect steering, road handling and braking of a vehicle, so they are very important for safety. Shocks become especially important in emergency maneuvers.
I think I want mine. Which means I have to spend money to fix Lipperts bad design.

I found this on Gabreil.com.
Shocks
The primary purpose of a shock is to hold tires to the road, giving passengers a safer, smoother ride. They aren't just for comfort - they affect steering, road handling and braking of a vehicle, so they are very important for safety. Shocks become especially important in emergency maneuvers.
I think I want mine. Which means I have to spend money to fix Lipperts bad design.

If the lower shock mount was changed to a horizonal bolt type it could pivot and work as a buffer to stop axle wrap when braking. If a camera was placed on the axle you could see how much the axle and leaf springs twist under hard braking.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our previous 5er had a bolt welded to the plate on the springs. The shock was mounted to this bolt. The problem was sometimes the weld would crack and I had to replace the plate/bolt combo. But the shock was mounted vertically.