Installing the Lippert 1621HD pin box and plastic cover install

RollingHome

Here are some pics of my TrailAir M15 pin box morphing into a Lippert 1621HD w/ plastic shroud (most owners go the other way). It’s a lot more streamlined now so I expect to reduce my fuel burn (yeah right, lol). The TrailAir is a nice pin box but it is shorter than the 1621HD and the geometry is slightly different, because of this my NBS (New Body Style) Chevy w/8’ bed was too close to my RV. In one pic both pin boxes are side by side. The pins on both boxes are against the fork, now look how much longer the 1621HD is. This is why my TV/RV was close, too close for me. I feel better now, the only burning issue which keeps me awake at nights now is, “what’s the auto position do on my crock pot” ? The plastic shroud is just that, some type of plastic, not fiberglass. It can be trimmed easily with aviation snips. The Lippert 1621HD pin box has 2 - ½” holes near the front. 2 plastic inserts go into these holes and allow white painted screws to be utilized for securing the cover. 2 self drilling black screws go into pre-drilled holes in the plastic cover and self drill near the pin box frame in the back. I also installed a hook and plug holder because I was bored.

The pin box bolts are grade 5 and get dry torqued in steps to 150 pounds. I used a ¾’ drive torque wrench because the ole back ain’t what it used to be. This wrench is about 3’ long and really gave me leverage so I only hurt for 3 days instead of 6 days. The bolts also come from HL with heavy body serrated teeth lock/flat washers. This is the first time I’ve seen these and I like em.

Notice the tapered drift pin I used followed up by a straight pin for final bolt hole alignment. It goes without saying… NEVER EVER put your fingers in a bolt hole in shear… Your fingers will become short and useless little stubs if you keep doing this.

I believe almost anyone with a few tools and 1 to 2 hours could put the plastic shroud on their pin box to save fuel.

The guys in HL customer service department were great and held my hand as they patiently answered all my dumb questions. However, I think they have a terrible job and are always dealing with problems and often angry people… I also got good service and help from MidWay RV sales in Salisbury MD. Trailair and the Pull-Rite folks, no complaints about any of em. The entire morphing fun was a team effort between all the above, I was just the cheap help.

Guys you really need to think about doing this, here’s the first step :
01). Honey, I need to buy a Kubota tractor to change our hitch, Kubota has 0% financing and I can’t …
Let us all know how ya make out !

I will be selling all the stuff I removed in the forum and on Craig’s List. Tom

Attachments

• Ready for the pin box.JPG
    Ready for the pin box.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Trim with snips.JPG
    Trim with snips.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 180
  • LYNX Plug Holder.JPG
    LYNX Plug Holder.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Hacksaw blade trim.JPG
    Hacksaw blade trim.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Special Washers.JPG
    Special Washers.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 134
  • As received from HL.JPG
    As received from HL.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Lift it up.JPG
    Lift it up.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 137
  • white & black screws.JPG
    white & black screws.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Proper Front Position.JPG
    Proper Front Position.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Rear view.JPG
    Rear view.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Completed Front view.JPG
    Completed Front view.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Rusty Pin Box frame.JPG
    Rusty Pin Box frame.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 132
  • KEP & Nylocs.JPG
    KEP & Nylocs.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Initial Drift Pin.JPG
    Initial Drift Pin.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Self supports.JPG
    Self supports.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Hook & Plug Holder.JPG
    Hook & Plug Holder.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Into the bucket it goes.JPG
    Into the bucket it goes.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Attach brake away switch.JPG
    Attach brake away switch.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Completed side view.JPG
    Completed side view.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Final Alinement Pin.JPG
    Final Alinement Pin.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Break Away Switch.JPG
    Break Away Switch.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Torque & backer wrench.JPG
    Torque & backer wrench.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Pin box comparison.JPG
    Pin box comparison.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 168

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thats the same pin box as my Sundance (15,500lbs) I use a 1/8" teflon disk with mine and its tighter than a drum when hitched. I'm sure you will enjoy the extra length.
I bet someone on the forum will be interested in that Trail-air you removed.

RollingHome

West10, where are you buying the 1/8" PTFE disk from ? I bought 1 from Hensley when I placed the TS3 order ? Tom

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Don't recall where I bought it from. I had problems hitching it up using a thicker ring so 10" x 1/8" worked out best for my Reese Pro 15,000.
Edit...I have a 3/16" thick disc, the 1/4" was too thick to work smoothly.

Tom, you will see the sides of the hitch cover will flap like bird wings while towing but 2 pieces of foam glued to the inside will stop the flapping.

Last edited:

RollingHome

Thanks Lwmcguire I thought others could benefit from this info. I've seen post asking about the plastic cover install so here's the scoop. It was a lot of work and I'm glad it's done so Patti & I can go out and commit random acts of Rving :)

porthole

Retired
Geez - If I knew you were doing all this I would have traded ya a Lippert pin box and the ABS cover for the trail air - I would have even thrown in the Teflon disc :D

porthole

Retired
Tom is your Trail air using a superglide adapter plate?

Is it a universal plate (version bolted on with 12-16 bolts)?

RollingHome

Duane, my Trailair uses a universal plate and it is welded on. Even that was a fiasco. The Pull-Rite spread sheet on the web is incorrect. Here's the hassle, Pull-Rite does not offer the 16K hitch anymore. The 18K replaced it and no one (including Henleys) is up to speed with the 18K. The 18K is a completely different animal and not many support it. Great hitch just too new for support. Tom

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
West10, where are you buying the 1/8" PTFE disk from ? I bought 1 from Hensley when I placed the TS3 order ? Tom

I received my Hensley 1/8" PTFE disk free with my new hitch. Question: Should I clean off all the grease surrounding the king pin before I install the disk? That would mean no grease on the capture plate nor the underside of the king pin. Surprises me that it slides on so easily for you Tom. Will be trying mine out this week, on our way to the Oregon rally.

RollingHome

Larry, Aaron at Hensley told me no grease. It has been my experience with PTFE in general no grease. PTFE has all the lubricating characterics in surface tension or lack of. I put my disk on and let the trailer weight seat it. I Don't know how long the 1/8" one will last so I want to get an extra one. By the way, PTFE was invented in the lab I worked in and was a true discovery. Enjoy your trip... ta

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Larry, Aaron at Hensley told me no grease. It has been my experience with PTFE in general no grease. PTFE has all the lubricating characterics in surface tension or lack of. I put my disk on and let the trailer weight seat it. I Don't know how long the 1/8" one will last so I want to get an extra one. By the way, PTFE was invented in the lab I worked in and was a true discovery. Enjoy your trip... ta

Tom, I have had my disk on for almost 4 years now and its still doing fine. The only problem you will eventually have is after awhile the disk will loosen up on the pin and not want to stay on. If you take the disk and lay it on a hard surface and take a hammer to the center section and spread the disk fingers , it will once again stay on......Kenny

RollingHome

Thanks Ken, looks like I won't be getting that spare disk. If I did, I wouldn't find it in four years and have to buy it again :)