water heater

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I just got back from my 8 day maiden voyage and things went pretty well. I do think my water heater on electric setting is bad. I turned on the propane to heat the water , while I was setting up, then turned it to electric. I then got the compaint from DW no hot water. I then switched back to propane, still no hot water. I then found the problem , one of the valves at the bypass leading to the tank was closed. We got hot water after this fix. I then switched back to electric and the DW takes a shower and complains of her not so good luke warm water.:mad: I then turn propane back on, I then have a hot shower. :) I guess, I need to know did I burn up the electric element to only get warm water or is this the nature of Suburban Water Heaters.
Ken

katkens

timk said:
Ken,
Did you turn on the little switch on the water heater?
TimK
I turn this one on also and no difference. When I checked the water valves at the heater, I couldn't get the panel all the way off and was working in cramped cargo area and was dark and couldn't tell if the valve turned off was to the inlet or outlet of tank. I need to get back in there and try following the water lines. I figure if there was no or little water in tank the element is bad after trying to heat things up. The water does get warm and thought if the element was bad it wouldn't heat at all.

timk

Ken,
Dont think it would be a pipe issue, if it works on gas. If its only warm on gas and electric, it could be a bi-pass valve open. I've never heard of a element allmost working. Are you giving it enough time to heat up?
TimK

osims

bsims
if it is getting warm you did not ruin the element, i have not looked in mine but there is a thermostat somewhere in there to control temp

katkens

The heater works fine on gas, after getting the closed valve opened alllowing the water to leave tank. I turned the gas off before bedtime and put on electric , next morning just luke warm water.
Ken

katkens

osims said:
if it is getting warm you did not ruin the element, i have not looked in mine but there is a thermostat somewhere in there to control temp
The water heater info says heat is preset to 140 deg.and not adjustable on electric.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

katkens
I would have the dealer check the heater or call Suburban directly. I have very hot water on electric or gas. I know if my wife and I take back to back showers or she does dishes we run out of hot water on electric. Remember that you are starting with aboujt 10 gallons of hot water, which is not much. If you are using alot of hot water, leave the electric on and also turn on the gas, this will heat much faster and you should be good. It should get hot on electric alone.

katkens

I hooked the trailer up to power an ago hour and have it on electric water heat and the water is not even warm. I guess I'm either not getting voltage to the element or the element is bad. I checked the breakers and fuses everything was ok. I'll call the dealer and have them check things out.

katkens

katkens said:
I hooked the trailer up to power an ago hour and have it on electric water heat and the water is not even warm. I guess I'm either not getting voltage to the element or the element is bad. I checked the breakers and fuses everything was ok. I'll call the dealer and have them check things out.
Thanks everyone for the help, dealer found problem. The problem was a loose wire connection in a junction box leading to the water heater element. Everything working fine and now can save a little propane.:)