Slide Floor Exterior Trim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, today I finally installed the aluminum trim to cover the exposed edges of my slide floors (except the bedroom). Rather than mess with the sill cap from HD, I stopped into a nearby siding dealer and had them bend up six pieces of L-moulding for me, cut to the lengths I needed and 1 1/4" faces. Cost was $12.00. With the exception of one piece on the kitchen slide, I removed the existing trim pieces and installed the caps. I applied a generous bead of caulk to both inside faces, slid/pressed into place and reattached the original trim. One section on the kitchen slide had a screw so far back and the space so tight, that I could not get at it. So I removed the ones I could, cut my cap short and flexed the trim away from the wall to get it in. At least it's in past the exterior seals. Recaulked the top edge of the original trim after it was reattached.

I didn't have any noticeable swelling of the wood, but the paint on the bottom edges was starting to flake a bit. This should take care of that.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, that's exactly what I was considering doing. We have a siding/gutter dealer just down the road here. Great idea that.
I was going to look in the Home centers for a suitable piece of aluminum angle with a thin wall but what you did sounds much easier and cheaper.
Did you do the bedroom slide? Our LR and Entertainment slides are OK but the BR is starting to get soft on the outer corners.
Is this a great place for information, or what???

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, pictures you want, pictures you get. First, the aluminum trim is .020" thick. That's painted aluminum coil stock. Same stuff I used to custom bend siding trim from in the olden days.

Ray, I did not have to do the bedroom slide, as the photo shows, it is already capped and the bottom is white. I did notice some grooving from the rollers, so I might install some of the Parkland plastic there instead of one of the other slides. None of the black slide bottoms show any damage beyond a bit of paint flaking at the edges.

View attachment 8686View attachment 8684View attachment 8685View attachment 8687View attachment 8688View attachment 8690View attachment 8689

Last edited: