Gvwr Worksheet

jpmorgan37

I received this article in a newsletter that I get and thought it was a good way to help figure what is needed for a Tow Vehicle. I know that some of you have asked about this before and this worksheet should help in answering some of your questions.

[FONT=Arial,]GVWR WORKSHEET[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,]HOW TO TELL IF YOUR VEHICLE EXCEEDS ITS GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING...

Determine the GVWR by looking on the label located on the driver's door post of most vehicles. Enter that figure into the table below.
Determine the NET WEIGHT by taking an unloaded vehicle to a public scale and getting it weighed. Enter the weight into the table below.

________________ = GVWR
________________ = Minus) NET WEIGHT
________________ = Maximum Allowable Load
________________ = Load to be Carried

Add all of the following items:
Weight of passengers carried
Weight of all fuel, water, oil and equipment (tools, etc.)
Weight of all after-market items installed
Weight of any cargo
Weight of other miscellaneous items to be carried

Enter the total of all the above to the table above in "Load to be Carried".

Subtract the "Load to be Carried" from the "Maximum Allowable Load".

If the "Maximum Allowable Load" will be exceeded, you must reduce the weight of the "Load to be Carried" in order to remain in compliance with your vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

For optimum results, reduce the "Maximum Allowable Load" to 75% of the maximum and stay within that limit to allow a margin of safety.

When integrating a tow vehicle with a trailer, either a fiver or travel trailer, add the GVWR of the trailer with the GVWR of the tow vehicle. If they add up to more than the GCWR of the tow vehicle it's a bad match. The only solution is to pick a lighter trailer or a bigger tow vehicle. The same applies to a self contained unit and a towed unit, either four wheels down or on a dolly.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,]Thank You for taking your time to read our newsletter.

"Air Safe Hitches" www.airsafehitches.com

Air Hitch Technology
High End Markets (Distributor)
Lloyd Stegemann
[/FONT]

T

tgboyd

Weight Question

I weighed my rig yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't weigh the truck first. The scale was a four section CAT scale set up to weigh 18 wheelers. The truck portion of the weight was 10,960 pounds and the Cyclone's 3 axles weighed 10,460 pounds. The Cyclone from the factory had a sticker weight of 11,450 pounds and I imagine I have 800 pounds of "stuff" in the trailer.

The total weight was 21,420 and if you subtract my estimated trailer weight it would put the truck at 9170 pounds (which would only be 30 pounds below max) but the total was 10,960 on the tires. Am I missing something here? Bottom line it appears the weight on the tires is 1760 pounds over the truck limit.

Can anyone help with this before I spend loads of money on a new 2008 Ford F450.

Thanks, Tom

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Tom, to really know what you have you will have to weigh the truck without the trailer attached. It needs to be full of fuel and the passengers and equipment that you normally carry. More precise weight would be to have it packed just like it was on the last weighing. Now add the weight of the steering axle and the drive axle together to get the gross weight of the truck. Now take the weigh ticket you have with the trailer attached and add together the weights of the steering axle and the drive axle then subtract from that total the combined weights of the steering and drive axle with no trailer attached and this will give you the pin weight of the trailer. You can then add the pin weight to the axle weight of the trailer on your first weigh ticket to get a gross weight for the trailer. You should now have all the true weights of your rig and not have to rely on estimated weights from the factory as many of these can be far from the real weight you are working with. I hope this has made it more clear to you but if not I will be glad to elaborate further or if I have made an error maybe someone will correct it .

Don

Rogdog

So, If I may hijack...

May I legally pull a trailer RATED for more than my GVWR if I keep it actually below my GVWR and all other ratings?

I'm looking at a Razor with a 14,400 rating but my 2500HD Duramax is rated at 12,000. Trailer dry weight is 8950. Add 2 quads, water and junk should go about 12000 (less I hope.) My truck can do it but legal or no?

Thanks
Roger

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The 12000# rating on the 2500HD is for the weight distribution hitch when pulling traditional trailers. Is the Razor a travel trailer or 5th wheel? The 5th wheel rating is 15,600#. Either way you should be OK. Keep in mind the published UVW is usually less than the actual empty weight of the delivered trailer. Options are normally not included in the UVW.

mufflerman

The uvw sticker that is posted in the trailer says that it includes all factory installed options but not dealer installed options.
I took my 3795 cyclone over the scales directly after picking it up from the dealer (Dec '05), the sticker said 11,450lbs but it weighed in at 12,380lbs.
I have noticed the new 3795 cyclones have a weight sticker of 11,950lbs closer but probibly still light.
At the time I had a '05 2500HD witch is why I was concerned with weight,
I have since went to a '06 3500HD dually,
Fully loaded with 4 quads headed for the dunes I tipped the scales at 24,620lbs GCVW. Tows great and feels extremly safe.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Roger here is a web site that might answer your question. As in most things it varies from state to state. In CA it is the "Manufactured Stated Gross Weight" that us used.

We've just heard so many horror stories about insurance reusing to pay and law suits, because of being overweight, that we prefer to stay in the legal zone. It's hard though, as the 5vers get larger and more luxurious, and we don't want to upgrade to a 4500.