Keyless Entry Lock Problems

lizzymit

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3610RE. About four weeks after buying the unit it stopped working. We stopped by the factory and they replaced the battery. It again stopped working and we were locked out of our trailer at night. We took off the keypad, removed the battery, put it back in, and then it worked. We are not using it until we know what the problem is. Any suggestions or comments?

Also how do you get back into your trailer if it stops working again?

Inks

lizzymit - Call Mike Faye at Southco (303-561-4900). He was very knowledgeable and said they would overnight new parts and instructions . its in another post here i called him and he said that they had some units go out that were not sealed properly and water is getting in and shorting out the battery

I called Mike Faye @ Southco. He Next Day UPS'd the repair parts and instructions. Tomorrow I'll look at the door and decide if I should go ahead because of simplicity or ask dealer to install parts. The Receiver is located in the door and the screen door needs to be removed to allow power to go to the receiver in the entrance door, screen door will block access to door when closed . The door must be taken apart and the glass taped in as nothing will be holding it in place with the door apart. The old receiver module (in the door) needs to be "paired" with the new transmitter. I'll post the pairing procedure shortly.

Attachments

• scan0008.pdf
    912.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

tempus

Hi - a week or so after our initial camp the lock stopped functioning. After reading enough posts, I decided it was a water problem. I replaced the battery and then sealed around where the plastic plates (which hold the pad, battery, etc.) snap together. It has worked for the past month, with a lot of rain, but I continue to cross my fingers - and carry my keys.

Hi-
I have a 2011 Bighorn 3055RL with keyless entry lock, and have yet to get it to work. I've tried reprogramming the code with no success. I called Heartland, and they referred me to Southco. I called Southco, and they said the "1,2,3,4" code the coaches used to come with (and as stated in the instructions) is no longer used because of security issues. They said to use the last 4 digits of the unit's VIN or serial number. Tried that. Still can't get it to work. What makes it even harder to program is that you can't see the lights to tell if what you're doing is correct, unless you try this at night. The instructions that come with it also don't tell you HOW it's supposed to lock the door. Is it the deadbolt that locks, or the door knob lock that locks? Does the door have to be closed for the lock to operate? I assume the contacts on the bottom, hinge side of the door jamb are for the keyless lock, but ?????

We've just given up trying to use this "option".
GregB

Greg, it locks only the deadbolt. I sent my broken transmitter back to SouthCo today. The battery wasn't shorted. It measured around 1.5 volts like it should. The module was sealed with the same blue compound on the new one that works. The inside was dry also. I'm not so sure water intrusion is the root cause of the problem.

Thanks everyone. Still not sure what the problem is. I'd like to call Southco when I can be at the door of the RV, when I can see the lights (at night), but their offices are closed when it's dark on the west coast. I'll have to figure out a way to shade the keypad so I can see what's going on.

musicman

We have a 2011 BH 3185 RL. We took delivery April 23 and our keyless entry went out last weekend. I called Southco and talked to Mike Faye. He overnighted a new keyless pad with instructions to install with current reciever in the 5er door. Sounds complicated and labor intensive. Taking coack to dealer this weekend and letting him fix the problem. Water was the cause also according to Mike Faye. New keyless pad has set screw in back to keep moisture out. Hope this helps and I hope we get it fixed soon. I will keep you guys posted.

Mike Faye sent our replacement a while back and I took the camper to the dealer to install. I has been cold, wet and rainy and it still is working. Looks like Southco is figuring out what was wrong.

danemayer

Our keypad isn't working correctly anymore. It lights up and clicks to lock/unlock, but seems to be too weak to actually move the deadbolt in or out. Did anyone else here have that failure?

Willym

Our keypad isn't working correctly anymore. It lights up and clicks to lock/unlock, but seems to be too weak to actually move the deadbolt in or out. Did anyone else here have that failure?

Clean the brass contacts at the bottom of your door, they may be dirty and restricting the current flow to the lock actuator in the door. It helped me.

sdagro

Bought my new 3670 in April 2010. In August after a rainstorm the keypad went blank. Southco next day shipped me a new one, took it to dealership and all has been well. A B**** to change out the part in the door. Glad I brought it to them. The new keypad has a better seal. Steve

Steve, that was my choice too. I thought it may be easy but then the door looked like too much chance for misalignment. Glad I let the dearler do it.

Willym

Steve,

Have you tried cleaning the power contacts for the lock actuator? They are the base of the door, hinge side. I had to clean mine recently.
My keyless entry went out again today. Will put in a call to Mike Faye tomorrow. Steve