Awning coming off wall

reebavic

On our first trip with our new NT28BRS, we had a mishap. As we pulled out the awning, one of the arm came off the wall, 4 of the big screws came out of the wall (stripped out). I tried to fill up the hole with some epoxy, but the screws came out again with little stress on the awning. Im scared that putting bigger screws might just worsened the problem! That aside we enjoyed the unit.

Hi reebavic,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I would contact your dealer first. Or if you want to repair your self at least contact your dealer or Heartland service for their recommendations. I'm sure your not the first for something like this, so others will jump in and give ideas also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

I believe Heartland has aluminum backers for the awning brackets. The aluminum is pretty soft too. Ours did the same thing on one end. Our dealer used screw in anchors and epoxy for a repair and they have been fine since. Attached is a picture of the type of anchor he used.

Attachments

• self drilling zi&#.jpg
    self drilling zi&#.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 13
I had the same thing happen two weeks ago, a wind came up and took one side loose pulling the screws right out. The screws are only in the thin fiberglass wall of the trailer. I found the top rail frame of the trailer and put a screw into that on each arm then doubled the amount of screws in the rest of the two arms. So far so good.
I'm really surprised they either didn't hit studs or put in extra studs as the awnings are standard on all trailers.

lhetsler

When my Bighorn was about a year old, I notice some screws sticking out. When I tried to tighten them, found out they were stripped. I remove about twenty screws in total on the four slide awnings and put polyurethane glue on them put them back in. Polyurethane glue will expand three or four times in size once in the hole and will ceaze the screws right in. Now my rig was out of warranty. If still in warranty I probably would have taken it back to the dealer. Mine, also did not fall off, so you might have to do a temporary fix. I have not had any further problem with them. Once brand of polyurethane glue is gorilla glue, if your interested. If you use it, come back to scrape off any glue that expands out of the hole within about 1/2 hour, it will easily scrape right off, after hardened, not so much.

reebavic

I brought it back and they added some epoxy - glue with some larger screws, I would of suspected that they would of engineer the wall to have some sort stud so they could screw into something! Oh And we did try it out last week-end, it poor like there was no tomorrow. Now I`ll have to figure why my GFI keeps tripping when I use the outlet over the sink area.