Underbed Storage

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I finally got around to cutting the plywood panel under the bed to place a plastic tote in the empty space. Wife is happy with that, got the extra set of bedding and the electric blanket in there. Checked the wiring under the bed, too. The one to the forward outlet was rubbing on the metal slide mechanism. It's stiff enough that I just bent it a bit to get it off the slide. If it relaxes back, I'll secure it with a screw eye and cable tie.

Sorry, no pics.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Tom, I looked over your pin box swap. Earlier, I didn't understand your original hitch gave you such close proximity. With my 16K Reese and 1621HD pin (with Jimmy's nose), I've got 10" clearance between the front of the trailer and the lowered tailgate. I've connected without a spotter, but make sure that I'm square to the front of the rig when I do that. When I get close, I get out several times to check and then raise the gate when it clears the pin. Don't want to be the first kid on the block with a GMC 3500HD short bed truck.

The underbed mod is simple, once you get that big piece of plywood out. I had to remove one strut mount from the bed frame to get it out. Propped that side with a piece of wood until I reconnected it. I brought along my trusty Milwaukee jigsaw to cut the plywood. Had my assistant, Max the Devil Kitty, inspect under the head of the bed for any mice while I was working under the bed. Getting him to come out of that nifty hidey space was an exercise, though. I didn't know a cat could extend just one claw towards you.