Cutting Exterior Walls

Kraythe

I would like to cut the exterior wall to the size needed for a 10 gallon water heater when it is currently sized for a 6 gallon one. In fact I plan to put in an RV-500 instant heater. What is the best way to do this without causing damage to the structure of the wall. Before I go on, I understand heartland cant warantee any such modifications. I am just looking for suggestions on the proper cutting technique. My current thought is to use a very fine tooth coping saw and do it by hand.

I have a 28 BRS Trailer.

I have never cut any of the out side walls on my RVs. I think you have the right idea. Fine tooth saw and slow. You may want to put some tape down and cut it like when cut formica. Also a router might work.

trvlrerik

I have cut a lot of gelcoat and fibreglass material and for a smooth edge I use a 4 1/2" grinder with a .045 metal cutting wheel at 10k to 12k rpm. The dust does go everywhere and it can be tough to start the cut, but it leaves a smooth cut line.

Well I called the factory and Joe said it was ok to go up but down or sideways could be a problem. I think for a 10 gallon it is just higher, not wider. At least I hope. As for the method, he said a coping saw with a fine-toothed blade was a good idea.