Connecting Cable TV and Cable Internet to my FW.

patrick1945

We spend the winter in one location in Florida each year. Until now we have used cable tv and dsl for the internet.

What connections do we use to connect the cable modem etal?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use ATT Boadband card in a Cradlepoint 1000 router in the RV. AT home we have DSL via Windstream (our phone company). Both work very well. I supplement all of that with my I-phone through ATT. I can get everything on the I phone I get via the Broadband and DSL.

2010augusta

We have used several cable/internet companies.

The way we connect everything is:
1. from the Campground connection run a single coax to the UDC/ Basement area to a splitter.
2. One side of the splitter goes to the trailers cable connection,
3. The other goes to the cable modem setting in the basement area.
4. From the cable modem we connect a wireless router also in the basement area.
5. We use the secured wireless connection to connect both laptops to the internet.

It works great for us.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
If there is a good cable connection at the park where we are, we use it. If not, we have a Dish Network setup that I can hook up, but if we're only overnighting, and I don't want to fool with the dish, I simply use the air signal from the Wineguard on the roof. We almost always get good reception from the local channels.

For internet I use my Verizon air card and Cradlepoint router to use both laptops. Many parks now have wifi which I use also. I never pay for wifi with the router setup.

patrick1945

This won't work for me because I have a new "smaller" desktop that I did not order with the wireless feature. I have an older laptop but it is so inferior to the desktop. I could run coax from the splitter in the basement to the desktop area where I would place the cable modem. Any suggestions on a best way to run that coax?

We have used several cable/internet companies.

The way we connect everything is:
1. from the Campground connection run a single coax to the UDC/ Basement area to a splitter.
2. One side of the splitter goes to the trailers cable connection,
3. The other goes to the cable modem setting in the basement area.
4. From the cable modem we connect a wireless router also in the basement area.
5. We use the secured wireless connection to connect both laptops to the internet.

It works great for us.

wdk450

There are inexpensive WiFi USB and PCMCIA adapters to add that capability to your computer.

patrick1945

Not knowing what you were speaking of; I did a little investigation and now I have a basic understanding. Do you have a suggested adapter?

There are inexpensive WiFi USB and PCMCIA adapters to add that capability to your computer.

2010augusta

for a desk top I would look for a USB adapter that has a wired antenna, that way the antenna can be placed in a seperate area then the computer and is less likly to be damaged than the ones that stick out of the USB port like a thumb drive. something like this.
41-88-thickbox.jpg

Duramax1

I have yet to stay at an RV park that provided cable internet. In fact, until I saw this post, I did not know that they existed.

Are their numbers increasing?

2010augusta

we stay at campgrounds for several months at a time, so we go to the cable provider and sign up for high-speed cable internet. It is not provided by the camp-ground, just uses the cable that the campground uses. It is not a good option for those that move a lot.