tips on repairing LED tail light

davelinde

DW was following me home from FL last week and determined that our left rear tail light LED's were failing one by one... she said that at first she noticed two were out, then three, by the time we got home the whole bottom column of LED's was out.

It looks like that assembly is screwed on from the outside and caulked. I'm guessing I just unscrew and pry? Then when it's apart I'm hoping something inside unplugs?

Is this an autoparts store part of must I go order something on-line?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, as far as I know there is no way to repair them. All the ones I have are a sealed unit. Make sure that all connections are good and clean.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, I'll wager there is a number on the back of the sealed unit that can be used at a NAPA or similar store to get you fixed up. While ours are pop out units, they are sealed and not repairable.

davelinde

Today I started to get the rig ready for our next trip in July and looked at this. It is a sealed unit... but not sealed well. The lens leaked water and the LED's under water quit. Worse - the assembly is hard wired into the harness! I clipped it out and brought it to NAPA. After a while mumbling and looking at catalogs they gave up.

Any suggestions for a source? I need one soon...

Ray LeTourneau

Today I started to get the rig ready for our next trip in July and looked at this. It is a sealed unit... but not sealed well. The lens leaked water and the LED's under water quit. Worse - the assembly is hard wired into the harness! I clipped it out and brought it to NAPA. After a while mumbling and looking at catalogs they gave up.

Any suggestions for a source? I need one soon...
I guess I didn't give any thought that there is a difference in the type of tail light used in the Cyclone vs. a Bighorn. Have you tried calling Heartland? You will need your VIN. Heartland also gives Owners Club member 10% off on parts. I'm sure if you call the Customer Service number they can direct you to the parts order line. All this is assuming of course, your tail lights are original equipment.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Call Heartland Customer service. They should be able to help. You get a 10 percent discount as a owners club member.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
From past posts I believe someone said you can get the taillights at Tractor Supply. I have not changed mine out but here is something you might check out.

I heard you can take yours out and put these right in. Not sure but what the hay..

Tractor Supply LED Tail Lights

FWIW
BC

davelinde

The nice customer service people at Heartland have this in stock and will ship it to my house. A little pricey -- but I think all the LED stuff is more expensive. Hopefully the next one will last longer... I'm betting the water leak killed this one.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The nice customer service people at Heartland have this in stock and will ship it to my house. A little pricey -- but I think all the LED stuff is more expensive. Hopefully the next one will last longer... I'm betting the water leak killed this one.

Did you use your 10 percent owner's club discount?

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Did you check out the price of the ones at Tractor Supply?? About $30 and no shipping if you drop by. A few on this forum have made a post about using them.
Does NJ have Tractor Supply stores? If not maybe you should move to Texas. LOL...

FWIW
BC

Ray LeTourneau

Did you check out the price of the ones at Tractor Supply?? About $30 and no shipping if you drop by. A few on this forum have made a post about using them.
Does NJ have Tractor Supply stores? If not maybe you should move to Texas. LOL...

FWIW
BC
Bobcat, I think the Cyclones have a different style light than our Bighorns. We have a fiberglass cap and they have a large framed area with a cargo door in the center. I should go on the Heartland site just to see if there are any pictures of the rear of a Cyclone. Just for grins.

On edit, Cyclones have a vertical light strip built into the side frame of the rear cargo door. They appear to be about 2" wide and maybe 10" high. Totally different animal than our Bighorns.

davelinde

Did you use your 10 percent owner's club discount?

The process is interesting... the CSR identified the part number, then went and physically verified they had it, then put in a order for me. Then he said it had to go to some other department that would prepare it for shipping and call me with the final total cost and get a credit card for payment. I guess I can ask about a discount when they call back.

davelinde

...Cyclones have a vertical light strip built into the side frame of the rear cargo door. They appear to be about 2" wide and maybe 10" high. Totally different animal than our Bighorns.

Yes, my tail light is 1 1/2" wide and 14" between the mounting holes. The light is just screwed to the frame with the hardwired pigtail going through a hole in the frame. To match the mounting space I'd need an exact replacement.

BTW - they just called and I asked for a discount and it was extended. Forums just saved me $3.70!

Ray LeTourneau

Yes, my tail light is 1 1/2" wide and 14" between the mounting holes. The light is just screwed to the frame with the hardwired pigtail going through a hole in the frame. To match the mounting space I'd need an exact replacement.

BTW - they just called and I asked for a discount and it was extended. Forums just saved me $3.70!
Well let's see if my math is correct, that's about a $37 light. Really not a bad price for a multiple LED fixture. Good to hear all is going to work out.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
My rear LED lights are out for markers but work for turn and brake. I too need new ones it appears. I know that AW Direct has them. Please let me know what Heartland charged you.

Thanks!

FJ

Manke3010

Alright, I'm joining the crowd as well with this rear led taillight issue.
Just noticed last night, bottom 2 are out, 2 above them are just about out.
Trick is we leave Thursday night for 2,000 mile trek to CO. Don't know if I can get a replacement in time.
There is a bit of water in the bottom of the lens.
Do any of you guys have experience with this in that once the bottoms go, the top 4 follow suit, or no...?

Davelinde, did you happen to ask HL if the new unit is improved in keeping out water, or could you see any difference in the new one...?
We cover our trailer, it's only 1 year old, and we live in sunny Socal. I'm guessing the water got in from us washing it last month, but I'm not very impressed with the lifetime/quality of these and if I have to drop $40 - $80 a year on replacing them both, I may just look into a different replacement....