Towing a Big Horn 3185RL

spandila

We just purchased a 3185RL and was wondering if anyone else is towing with a 2500HD Duramax. This weight and towing issue is causing me a lot of headache and I want to make sure we are not overweight. The 3185 lists at 11221 lbs dry. We probably only carry about 1000 lbs for the two of us and we have a 2009 Chev 2500HD Crew cab with the 6.6 Duramax. Would love to hear from you if you are towing similar weights and how you are finding it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
spandila, 3185, nice rig. The only true way of knowing your weights, is to weigh everything. Weigh your truck with you, any passengers and a full tank of fuel. Get the front and rear axle weights. Then you need to have your rig packed as you would be for traveling and go get the whole works weighed, hitched up, and get the new axle weights for the truck and the weight of the trailer axles. Using your trucks specs, GVWR, RAWR, and fifth wheel tow limit, you will then be able to tell if you are ok.
Using the listed dry weight and estimating your add ons for the two of you, and not knowing what your truck weighs is just guess work.
Having said all of that, I have seen simillar trucks pulling bigger rigs and have seen bigger trucks pulling smaller rigs. Your truck will handle your new 3185 just fine, although you will most likely be overweight. But that remains unknown untill you load it and weigh it.
Enjoy yor new rig.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When towing one thing is important regarding your weight. Your tow vehicle is designed to tow a certain maximum weight. But most 3/4 ton to 1 ton trucks will pull much more. They could tow a 747 Airplane as long as the hitch weight is not more than the truck is designed for. The trouble with that is how much will the truck STOP. Also when overloading the TV everything will wear out quicker, motor, transmission, suspension, rear end, brakes, etc. Not to mention anything about the safety issue. There is much that has been written about this issue and this and other forums and it never ceases to amaze me how this question seems to continue to come up. No matter how many time or the manner in which it is asked the answer is always the same. Good luck in the towing and remember there are others on the road. Look at all of the tow vehicles on the road and look at how many are 'squatting' in the back and high in the front because they are overloaded. It is really kind of scary.

APT

Your truck's payload of about 2500 pounds (GVWR - actual weight) is your limit. Dry pin weight is 2145, which will be closer to 2800 pounds with options, water, and cargo. You should weigh your truck to verify your actual weight as equipped, but you still need to sit yourself and wife in the cab, again taking from payload.

That said, many people overload their 3/4 ton trucks. The truck will have no problems pulling it, but uncomfortable with the relatively soft stock suspension. There are aftermarket products that can asist with some of the issues, but start with knowing where your truck stands with weight.

rons5er

Hi, I am a new member of this forum but have been researching this type of concern for some time. We just traded a Cougar 318 0n a 2011 Big Country 3250. We have a 2006 Duramax ex-cab shortbed 4x4 2500HD. Its ratings are 9200gvwr 22000gcwr and 6084rawr. Took it to the cat scales a couple days ago. The truck came in at 7120# with a full tank, me and my boxer included. Add 150# for DW [hope she does not read this thread!] it would be 7270#. The fiver came in at 11320 with a 2240 pin weight. Dry weights were stated at 10400 and 1930. This leaves me about 3400# below gcwr and about 900# below rawr. However it is over its gvwr by 300# or 3.5%. The main difference on the big threes 250/2500 srw and 350/3500 srw trucks is the overload spring on the 350/3500. If you modify your 2500 with airbags or an overload spring, you would be comparable to a 3500. I know they use a different tire and wheel but unless you exceed you axles rating this would not be a problem. I have airbags on mine and ran 32# with the Cougar and 40# with the BC to level it up. Your rig is a bit heavier but this approach should work well for you also. Good Travels

ken.webb

I have the same 2011 5th wheel and have the same concerns. No matter what the specs on the trailer say, until you weigh it you don't know where you stand. I have a 2005 Chevy C2500 HD Duramax in the extended cab, long bed version and with my trailer loaded just for the weekend with 15 gallons fresh water and empty waste tanks, maybe 100 lbs in the storage compartment and nothing in the truck except two people, my truck is 200 lbs overweight. The trailer weight is just fine but I wish more weight had been shifted back to give less tongue weight. For an extended trip, I put some of my stuff (golf clubs etc.) inside in the back of the trailer.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
HI

I also live in Saskatchewan, I have a Landmark gross weight is 16200 (weighed at the national Rally this year, I have pulled it to Ontario and Indiana not to mention Oregon a few times with my 2500HD. No problems. The 2500HD when pulling a 5th wheel can take 23000 gross combined weight.
chainsaw