Maximum pin weight

slaytop

Is there a maximum safe pin weight that my 2006 Shenandoah can support before the frame will likely sustain damage? The axles are rated at 7,000lb each but how is the hitch pin rated?

lwmcguir

Best thing to do here is put a Fifth Airborne pin or similar one on the Coach. Takes a lot of stress off the vertical welds where they attach to the bottom main frame. Several folks out there with welds that have failed. Balancing the weight in the coach is important as it will help to keep from being pin heavy. I don't think you will get an actual number but most folks watch the TV rating and try to not exceed it on the rear wheels. Be curious as to what others say.

Tankie

The coach has a gross weight rating, my BH is 16,000. I know you do not want to exceed that as well you do not want to exceed the 14,000. But never gave the pin rating much thought, that is a very good question. You would think it would have to be 16000 lbs, my hitch in tv is rated for 16000lbs.
It does not hold the gvw put it has to pull it. Would be interested to see what Lippert has to say.

slaytop

Yes, I understand that the structure needs to be strong enough to pull the gross weight of the trailer. What I am asking is what amount of force will cause the trailer to go beyond flexing and actually cause damage to the frame? There's an upper frame to which the hitch is attached, a pair of vertical frame members on each corner welded to the upper and lower frame, and then the lower frame is welded to a mid/rear frame. Where is the weak point, if there is one, and how much stress can it take? I know the pin weight and I have the TrailAir hitch to cushion the ride.

Bobby A

Best thing to do here is put a Fifth Airborne pin or similar one on the Coach. Takes a lot of stress off the vertical welds where they attach to the bottom main frame. Several folks out there with welds that have failed. Balancing the weight in the coach is important as it will help to keep from being pin heavy. I don't think you will get an actual number but most folks watch the TV rating and try to not exceed it on the rear wheels. Be curious as to what others say.

I do like the 5th Airborne, when I called the Cequent group the maker of 5th Air Borne, I was told the max load for that is 4200#'s and the standard Lippert pin box 1621HD is 18000 lbs. I'm just a little concerned because when I had my unit weighed the pin was 3200 lbs. and I wasn't fully loaded.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Is there a maximum safe pin weight that my 2006 Shenandoah can support before the frame will likely sustain damage? The axles are rated at 7,000lb each but how is the hitch pin rated?

This appears to be a "Ask the factory " question... they may give you the correct answer.