Electric shock when touching RV

rmelder

LSU5000
You will occasionnally get a slight shock when touching metal on the RV, when plugged in to outlit. I took a Ideal three prong tester and plugged into the storage outlit. The reading came back open ground. I unplugged and started generator. The recepticles inside read correct. I turned generator off and plugged extention card back in. I first checked the outlit again read open ground. I went inside the RV and the reading was correct. I'm asking does this sound OK. Why did the reading inside read correct using the extention cord,when the outlit read open ground. Any help would be appreciated.

goodtruck

Have you checked the ground at the main ground block? on our ER it is in the basement behind the rear wall.It sounds like some wires have worked free.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, you should not be getting shocked in your RV. If you plugged into the storage receptical, and it shows open ground there, you should check that circuit for bad grounding or incorrect wiring.
A few questions. Who installed the storage outlet? What type is it. 20 amp, 30 amp or 50 amp. If it is 15 or 20 amp, is it a GFCI?
I'm not sure, but your ground and neutral might be bonded together in the coach. That may be why your prong tester shows ok.
goodtruck may be right about a loose wire. Be sure to unplug from shore power and turn off the genny, then look at the wires in your service panel.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

rmelder

LSU5000
The storage company installed the switch. I had a wire break loose on my battery. I put it back on the positive side (white wire ). I also have a black small wire on the positive side of battery. Could this have caused it? Never had this problem before.

RollingHome

No, the 12 VDC and the 120Vac are entirely different circuits. How is the CG circuit are they open ground ? Go out to the pedestal and check their 120 duplex with your Square D polarity checker. If your ploarity checker says "open ground" report it to the CG office, it's thier problem :). If it's OK then the problem 'probably' is your coach. If you are not able to find it call a electrician from the local directory, any electrcian will do, he/she does not have to be an RV "expert" you have a serious problem that could hurt/kill you, so don't mess around with this and that, good luck. Tom

lwmcguir

The storage company installed the switch. I had a wire break loose on my battery. I put it back on the positive side (white wire ). I also have a black small wire on the positive side of battery. Could this have caused it? Never had this problem before.

Are you sure your positive wire is white? Never seen this before. Curious to what you find.