Reefer won't cool

Dave42

Hi Everyone,
Left on a 200 mile trip to the lake last Thursday. Turned the fridge on as usual, expecting it to run fine but it did not. Got to the campground and it read 60 degrees. Got out the manuel, managed to find and check 2 fuses in the electronic panel. Both o.k. The "eyebrow" panel seems o.k. I can hear the burner working on gas mode. In electric mode, there is a hot area at the bottom center where the freezer door closes. I am home now and have a date with the repair shop for 8am tomorrow. Anyone have an idea about what is going on?
Thank you,
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I think mine is haunted. Last year when we came back from our summer trip the fridge quit working. I called a service tech to check it and it started working again. He did find a bad computer board and replaced it. We just got back from a trip to Elkhart and it quit working again but then started working for the last week. On Sunday morning it quit working again. Couldn't get it looked at because of the Memorial day weekend, but then today it has started working again....confusing!

wdk450

Dave:
I don't know if this is applicable to your problem, but we usually start up the refrigerator 2 days before our scheduled departure.

Dave42

Hi Bill,
Yes, I do the same when I can. Unfortunatly my driveway is so steep the trailer can't be leveled there. Just turning on the gas a few hours ahead of time can also help. Anyway, I will probably get the call from the tech in the morning.

wdk450

Dave:
Running a refrig with any heat source when the trailer is out of level enough that it is uncomfortable to walk in, can cause the internal fluids and chemicals in the refrig to clog the coolant tubes and destroy the cooling unit. The replacements aren't cheap.
Some people who don't plan to boondock use a small conventional refrigerator and either count on it to keep cold until you reach your destination, or use a 12 VDC / 110VAC inverter (or generator) while travelling down the road.
My old bubbletop van RV had a very small conventional refrigerator with a built in inverter.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Dave:
Running a refrig with any heat source when the trailer is out of level enough that it is uncomfortable to walk in, can cause the internal fluids and chemicals in the refrig to clog the coolant tubes and destroy the cooling unit. The replacements aren't cheap.
Some people who don't plan to boondock use a small conventional refrigerator and either count on it to keep cold until you reach your destination, or use a 12 VDC / 110VAC inverter (or generator) while travelling down the road.
My old bubbletop van RV had a very small conventional refrigerator with a built in inverter.

Good point Bill....I see so many people traveling with their 5th wheels out of level and nose high its a wonder the refrigerators don't work.

Dave42

I just got word from the repair tech. Cooling unit is bad. Requires replacement. Parts are ordered and will arrive when? Will install and do another 24 hour check "but don't expect to get it back before middle of next week." Well it is only a year and a half old, so the warranty should pay most of it. The bad thing is that we were planning to leave for Alaska tomorrow. My 12 year old grandson is going to be very disappointed.