Black tank etiquett

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Saw something today I never even thought someone would do.

I had to fuel up the truck for our trip tomorrow. On the way out out of the campground I got behind a TT leaving. He had his black tank valve open and his cap off his sewer line.

Every right hand turn was another waterfall out of the sewer line. When he hit the four lane, he made a couple of eratic swerves to the right and then up the entrance ramp to the interstate.

I would like to think he just forgot to close his valve and forgot to put his cap on and drove eratically swerving to the right for no reason.

Later that day on the way to dinner, there was a white line of dried toilet paper around the turns.

I may be wrong but I dont think this is the proper way to remove unwanted waste from your black tank.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Some people are just toooo lazy to go to the dump station or wait in line at one. Stupid is as stupid does.
Maybe some one will wisen him up some day but doubt that that would work either.
That kind of behaviour gives rver,s a bad name.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Not only is it bad etiquette to dump you black tank on the ground it is unsanitary and illegal.

irvin56

I have seen them in the past on gravel roads(back roads) pull over to ditch and dump there.

Yep, given us all a bad rap.

jmgratz

So what do you do if your black tank is stopped up. Here is a suggestion. #1 - First of all don't put anything down the toilet that won't disolve. ie no sanitary napkins etc. #2 - Only use septic safe toilet paper #3 - Do not leave your sewer (black tank) open. Only open it when your tank is at least over half full. #4 - When draining the black tank use plenty of water to flush. Flush until clear and no more debris comes out. #5 - After draining leave some water in the black tank. Never leave the black tank dry. #6 - You can use Dawn diswashing soap, or Calgon water softener in the tank to keep it clean. #7 - If the worst case happens and it becomes stopped up then you can put a bag of ice in the toilet and then drive around with the drain handle CLOSED. Normally the ice will help break up the solids and when you get to your destination you can hookup your sewer and it will drain. Be sure to flush it with lots of water.

Finally dumping your black tank anywhere other than an authorized dumping facility is unsanitary, rude, and ILLEGAL. HAPPY CAMPING

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had to fuel up the truck for our trip tomorrow. On the way out out of the campground I got behind a TT leaving. He had his black tank valve open and his cap off his sewer line.
Every right hand turn was another waterfall out of the sewer line. When he hit the four lane, he made a couple of eratic swerves to the right and then up the entrance ramp to the interstate.
I would like to think he just forgot to close his valve and forgot to put his cap on and drove erratically swerving to the right for no reason.
I think this is one of those types of people that have no regard for anyone but themselves. Probably has loud music going at his site, Crap laying all over the place and his kids running around through everyone else's sites. Leaves garbage in the fire pit. You all know they type!

wdk450

I swear this story is true:
When I got out of the Navy in Virginia in 1974, I decided to take Amtrak across America back to California. The cars were old then, and I distinctly remember the restrooms had signs saying "DON'T USE THE TOILET WHILE THE TRAIN WAS IN THE STATION". I found out why later when I flushed and saw the track crossties going by underneath the open hole in the bottom of the toilet. They use recirculating toilets (like in airliners) now.

Last edited:

Yianni

I swear this story is true:
When I got out of the Navy in Virginia in 1968, I decided to take Amtrak across America back to California. The cars were old then, and i distinctly remember the restrooms had signs saying NOT TO USE THE TOILET WHILE THE TRAIN WAS IN THE STATION. I found out why later when I flushed and saw the track crossties going by underneath the open hole in the bottom of the toilet. They use recirculating toilets (like in airliners) now.

We took Amtrak as kids to Washington every Summer to visit relatives. You are right. I remember flushing the toilet and seeing the tracks going by too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Call me paranoid, but whenever I have to use a pit toilet at a park, I always move my wallet into my front pocket and clip my keys to a belt loop first. Otherwise, I'd have to toss the wife in the pit to make it worth going after.

jmgratz

I think this is one of those types of people that have no regard for anyone but themselves. Probably has loud music going at his site, Crap laying all over the place and his kids running around through everyone else's sites. Leaves garbage in the fire pit. You all know they type!

Yea, We had one of those next to us over the weekend. His kids left much trash laying around the fishing pond next to us. I guess the beer bottle was from him. I hate it when people have not more concern for others than that. I have half a mind to pick it all up and put it on his RV steps while he is gone. Probably wouldn't make any difference.

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

I would like to think he just forgot to close his valve and forgot to put his cap on and drove eratically swerving to the right for no reason.

Later that day on the way to dinner, there was a white line of dried toilet paper around the turns.

I may be wrong but I dont think this is the proper way to remove unwanted waste from your black tank.

The absolutely sad thing is there were full hook ups at the camp ground! Imagine that!