Do I Have a Serious Problem

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
While finally being able to get the trailer de-winterized and ready to go I discovered gaps between the closet cupboards in the bedroom closet. The front wall of the trailer is about an inch from the cupboards. I never noticed this last fall when I winterized the washer/dryer taps.../Doug

Attachments

• P5310044sized.jpg
    P5310044sized.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 147
  • P5310041sized.jpg
    P5310041sized.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 137

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hard to tell since some of the carpentry and cabinetry skills leave something to be desired. Do the pieces feel loose and wobbly or are they rigid and secure? Take a look around the joint for the front cap outside and see if there is any separation of the caulking. Just looking at the trim pieces inside your closet, it does not look like there's been any structural movement, though.

DougLynne

John, I did a double check and all the cabinetry seems preet solid. As well, the caulking is all pretty good, no noticable gaps, I may clean again this year and reapply caulking as it seems to need it almosr yearly or I don't put enough on. Doug

RollingHome

Doug, I have a 2011 3670RL. I picked it up in Nov 2009. When we were loading for our last trip my wife Patti found the exact same gap in the front closet between the washer dryer closet and hanging closet. Because I also was having trouble getting the BR door to latch I suspected the worse (Frame flex) and hoped for the best... Turns out somebody at HL goofed, once again we proved they employ humans... Well, I met another 3670 owner and he too had the BR. door latch problem, it seems to be a common problem for what ever reason. The fix is to move the hole down. The bedroom closet... was the same scenario, the pieces just weren't fit correctly. If these pieces are being cut by or to a jig, the jig needs to be tweaked. Ditto for the striker plate on the BR door. Problem seems to be a breakdown in communication between the field and the factory. That's good, at least all indications are my frame is not bent. That could be a catastrophy... I'll bet you have the same thing. If you are still under warranty hit the dealer. If not, hit the dealer and see what they say. Hope for the best, expect the best. Last case scenario, pull the panel yourself, trim it and reinstall, it's just wood paneling, Good Luck. Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, I did a double check and all the cabinetry seems preet solid. As well, the caulking is all pretty good, no noticable gaps, I may clean again this year and reapply caulking as it seems to need it almosr yearly or I don't put enough on. Doug

Good to know, Doug. Then I agree with Tom that it is probably just poorly fitted cabinetry and not a structural problem. As for the caulking on the outside, I had mine redone last year when the rig was only a year old at the suggestion of a service tech. His recommendation was to do it annually. He did every joint on the roof and both caps (on the roof, anyways). Took 3 tubes of Dicor's caulking. I checked with Dicor and they were somewhat ambivalent about it, saying it didn't hurt, but could be delayed until it looked like it needed it. Having it done, as I did, was not overly expensive, but is something you can do yourself. Next time, I will.

DougLynne

Ok, finally back online and have an update. I believe I have a frame flex problem as when I am attached to the truck and weight is on the truck the gap appears. When I unhook and put the weight on the landing legs the gap disappears and all looks good. That is probably why I haven't noticed it before and who knows how long this has been going on. I talked to the Service folks at my dealer and they say I have a flex problem and to contact Heartland which I will do tomorrow. The dealer said he had another customer with a similar problem and had to have welding done. This same customer was not totoally happy and apparantly took it to the factory. i would hope that I don't have to do that as the factory is several days drive from here. Will keep you posted..../Doug

DougLynne

This is the first Internet access I've had since we had our trailer to the Factory. I would like to thank Jim Fenner for the great support we got from Heartland and our trailer is like new. We had a flex in the front and it has been fixed as well as several other problems we noted. Thanks again Jim..../Doug

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Glad to hear you got your problem solved. It is no fun having to deal with that but good to know Heartland took care of you.

Thanks for the update,
Mark

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This is the first Internet access I've had since we had our trailer to the Factory. I would like to thank Jim Fenner for the great support we got from Heartland and our trailer is like new. We had a flex in the front and it has been fixed as well as several other problems we noted. Thanks again Jim..../Doug

Jim Fenner, and the staff at Heartland are the greatest!!!