refridgerator odor on lp

We lost shore power today and the fridge automatically went on propane. Upon entering coach after an hr. or so there was a strange odor, not propane . It came from the freezer. It smelled like when you first use a furnace for the first time, but very strong. We opened all the windows and put fans on . The fridge was left on for two more hours and the smell went away. Put it on shore power for three hours and no smell. Checking in freezer and the pantry cabinet next to it , the smell could be detected but not as strong. The outside fridge vents upon being checked for odor, proved that the odor was coming from the fridge. Five hrs. later coached checked again and no odor present . Why did this happen? Is this normal for first time use on propane? Its been on electric for weeks with no smell.
Thanks for any input.
Brenda

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It is quite possible what you were smelling was due to the propane burner. Just like a furnace that has sat unused for a long time, when it gets fired up, it smells. Dust, pollen, spider webs, whatever, get baked and combusted. Even the heated metal gives off an odor until it's "seasoned" again. Now, if you were smelling methyl mercaptan (rotten eggs), then I'd be really concerned.

Check your upper fridge vent area to make sure it's not obstructed by loose insulation. Especially if you have an auxiliary fan up there to help cool the back of the fridge. Check the lower area, too, to be sure there's nothing loose back there that shouldn't be. Or dirty. (I'm assuming, of course, that your unit has an outside vent at the top and bottom of the refridgerator location)

In the photo of my rig, it's the two slotted panels in the center slide, behind the tree.

View attachment 8744