positioning jack under a Big Horn 3185RL

If god forbid I ever have to change a tire, or grease bearings, where is the best location to put the jack? Springs are above the axles on this coach.
Thanks for any info.
Regards
Brenda

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Lippert recommends jacking by the frame near the tire, not the axles. That said, you may get differing opinions on what is and isn't safe to do.

RollingHome

Brenda, As John Dar points out, the guys that make the axle and frame (Lippert) state "Jack up to change tires by the frame". I have decided to purchase a saddle from my dealer which has a half circle cut out with a flat spot to jack on. The half circle goes around the axle. I choose this method because I feel safer because I only have to lift the tire off the ground 1" to change. The jack will only extend a few inches and should be stable. Jacking the frame looks like it will require a jack with lots of ram travel or I must use lots of wood for cribbing. I choose to take the simple route. I believe Lippert is concerned about folks jacking on the axle and causing damage or slipping off if a saddle is not used. We live in such a litigious society; I don't blame Lippert for being cautious. I am not advising or suggesting you to do this, I am simply stating what I will do. Tom

lwmcguir

We use one of the drive on jacks. Many different ones are available. Then a short style hydraulic jack and a special bracket under the spring u-bolts if needed to raise the tire/wheel high enough to install the spare. The special bracket can consist of a 2/4 if you are in a pinch.

Some idiots jack under the axle, therefor the frame is the recommended way as John stated. If you jack under the frame you better have a pile of timbers ready to support the jack. Then hope the jack don't slip off the narrow frame.

Two Hands

Don't even think about changing a tire. Just make sure you have Good Sam, AAA or some other good emergency roadside service and let them do the work.

RollingHome

Brenda, TwoHands is exactly right, let someone else do it... However, Make sure you know how to do it for those "out in the boondocks" what if scenarios AND more realistic... Have the knowledge and equpiment to let the AAA guys use. I have heard of road side assistance coming to your rescue only to damage your rig and create more problems... So like a girl scout.... be prepared :) In these type situations, don't worry about feelings, take charge, take control because you may just know more then the guy who came to your assistance... THANKS TO THIS FORUM :) Tom

wdk450

Brenda:
One important thing not mentioned is ALWAYS HAVE THE 5TH WHEEL TRAILER HITCHED TO THE TRUCK WITH THE LANDING GEAR UP WHEN JACKING UP A TIRE FOR CHANGING. I had a tire service guy ruin my landing gear when he and I didn't know this.

lhetsler

I have what is called a Trailer Aid Plus, I bought at Tweetys.com. It is a ramp with a concave surface on top. You drive onto it or back on to it, depending upon which tire you need to change, front or back. I too could not see putting enough blocks under the frame that would be required to jack it up, that would just not be steady. I have not used this product yet, but it looks like it will do the job. Just haven't had the need yet. I will use it at the end of the summer to adjust the brakes, so well see.

RollingHome

Guys, I did a web search for the axle housing jacking saddle and struck out. I saw a photo in another thread and it was a black channel with half circles cut in two sides which the axle housing sits in. The jack pad lifts the flat portion and up it goes. Anybody know where I can get one and the "official" name or brand name ? Is this available on line anywhere ? Any info is appreciated, In advance Thanks. :) Tom

jcarnevale

TV does not have to be connected. I bought the saddle at the local trailer store and used it underneath the axle to jack on. The wheel in the picture is off the ground!

NOT an approved method.........but it works good for me ....IMO

555.jpg

Last edited:

2010augusta

Looks like you'll just using a spare leaf spring mounting pad as a jacking saddle. Cheap and it should work without damaging the axle tube. I like it :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As for blocking, or cribbing, I carry eight (8) sections of 4x4 cribbing with 5/4 tops. Each section is three 12" sections of 4x4 with 5/4" planking on top. The pieces are all screwed together. When parked, I use them under my jacks and struts. When on the road, they're either in the truck or in the basement. So, the lifting of the 12 ton hydraulic bottle jack I carry will be minimal. If I had to jack the rig, a 12" piece of 2x4 would be between the jack head and frame.

caissiel

When I worked on the trailer the last time, I jacked the side of the trailer with my 8 ton jack. The trailer had to be hooked to the TV and allowed to tilt. I proceded to jack and I was surprise at how easy it was to lift the wheels of the ground. Had to jack much less then I thought. It was realy fast to do the grease job on the hubs.

I carry a bin full of 2 x 6 x 12" long blocking (2 x 8 will split) so I use a cribbing method to raise the first half of blocking and then extend the other half with single stack of blocking, put the jack on the blocks and it was easy to lift the whole side. With the unit on the truck there is no way the unit will move of the jack.

With the very little service I got done by others and the resulted dissatisfaction, I just do my own work and I know it is done right. Its true that some service operators will twist your unit because they are in a rush to get to the next call.

RollingHome

Laurent, Next year I want to grease my hubs... PLEASE tell me what to do... I raise the wheel and remove it... Then I pull the hub assembly and ? Do you just put 1/3 grease in the hub, work it in with your palm and re-apply or what ? Should I expect any thing weird compared to the old roller bearing hub assemblies from the 50's & 60's era vehicles ? I know this is a strange question, how about weight, I don't have the strenght I used to (so I do things smarter and different). I do not want to use the grease jerk on the axle. I use those on my boat because it does not have brakes. I would never risk using this blind pump and go menthod when brakes are nearby, I've seen first hand what "liberal application of grease" can do to brake linings. Any ALL advise will be appreciated. Thanks Tom

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ken
Great video on packing bearings. I saved it in my data for future information...

For those that have had their trailer for a few years one of the things at this time is to know how good your brake pads are wearing. I was given some advice by a trailer repair in Livinginston TX. It is as fast and about the same price to change out the entire brake assembly, which includes the backing plate, bearings, brake shoes, braking magnet, springs and attachments. This gets you a better set of brakes and housings than the China brand that is on the axles.

FWIW
BC

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
TV does not have to be connected. I bought the saddle at the local trailer store and used it underneath the axle to jack on. The wheel in the picture is off the ground!

NOT an approved method.........but it works good for me ....IMO

View attachment 8748

I would never, ever work near or under a vehicle that is not supported to the fullest degree possible. What would happen if a landing gear leg broke, collapsed or the jack malfunctioned while having the unit supported with just an axle? Safety first is your first concern. My TV would definetely be connected.