NT Options

APT

Are there any hidden options for the North Trails? A friend of mine ordered a Big Horn and found out there are some options not listed on any web site, like upgraded axles with better brakes and never lube hubs. I do not expect as much customization for the NT, but there may be some.

Also, Fantastic fans - available from factory?

Black panel fridge doors - why? Seems like fingerprint magnets. In a home, wood panel covers cost more.

Getting ready to commit and order a 28BRS for my first TT. I want to make sure I get it right, to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks!

APT

Oh, what about tires? What brand/model are standard and are there optional ones?

M

Mcreech

Nothing is a hidden option on the North Trail..........Everything is posted.........Is there something that you are thinking about?

Mike Creech

APT

Thanks, Mike!

Of what little I know about TTs, I am interested in never lube hubs, rear ladder, Fantastic Vent 6000 or 6600, and power tongue jack. Much easier to do some of those those during the build process than afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, I love the NT line. Wish I would pull a king slide, but that will have to wait for a TV upgrade. How about a NT version of the Sundance XLT 260BH? Almost perfect for me! Under 30', large U-dinette, bunks, sofa for guests.

Mike, what are the dimensions of the 28BRS dinette and length of the sofa?

M

Mcreech

We use easy lube hubs that I can tell you last a long time...I send North Trails to my Alaska dealer, which is over 5000miles and the dealer sells then without doing anything to the hubs.......You can have your dealer install a ladder if you want one, same thing with the Fantastic Vent and power tongue Jacks.......Our dinette in the 28BRS is 40" long and the sofa is 64"

chrispitude

Actually, I think Heartland may have made the right call on the Nev-r-lube hubs. I did some Googling, and although these never need lubricated, they still have a finite lifespan and eventually need to be replaced. Because the bearing is not serviceable, you don't really know when it's reaching the end of its service life. One of the failure modes appears to be a failure of the bearing housing, causing the wheel to fall off (!). Here is a discussion thread:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=77173

I did ask my salesperson to call Heartland and see if they'd equip our 21FBS with 15" aluminum wheels (as used on the NT 5th wheels) instead of 14" aluminum wheels. The tire choices in the 15" size are much better, and the load margin is higher (something I really want given the quality of Chinese ST tires these days).

Mike, is there a chance you could make a phone call and convince the right factory people to make this happen? Our dealer is Harold's RV in Bath PA. I'm willing to pay the cost difference, as it will certainly be cheaper than buying new wheels/tires online and selling the old ones for a pittance.

Last edited:

APT

I found out there are two options that my dealer did not know about for North Trails. Dual 30 pound LP tanks vs. 20 and dual pane thermal windows.

chrispitude

I did ask my salesperson to call Heartland and see if they'd equip our 21FBS with 15" aluminum wheels (as used on the NT 5th wheels) instead of 14" aluminum wheels. The tire choices in the 15" size are much better, and the load margin is higher (something I really want given the quality of Chinese ST tires these days).

Mike, is there a chance you could make a phone call and convince the right factory people to make this happen? Our dealer is Harold's RV in Bath PA. I'm willing to pay the cost difference, as it will certainly be cheaper than buying new wheels/tires online and selling the old ones for a pittance.

My local RV salesguy spoke to his sales rep at Heartland about upgrading my unit on order to 15" wheels. The answer was "no, we can't do that because the larger tires would interfere with the wheel spacing" which makes no sense to either myself or my local RV salesguy. I am taking that as a "no, I don't know how to make that happen so we can't do that" answer. Tomorrow I'll call Heartland see where I can get with it. Or, perhaps Heartland Mike can make some magic happen. :)

Whoever answered the question on the tires was half right......You can't add 15" tires our small slides because the 15" tires would hit the wheel well.....If you are looking at the king slide North Trails, they do have 15" on them....

Kman

We just placed an Order for a 32 BUDS. Is there an upgrade option for ez lube wheel bearings or do they come on the unit? That is one thing I did not know to ask about.

bar20

I am not sure if they could do this at the factory but I would see if you could get the 2010 convection/microwave oven with the better three burner stove. This also gave you an extra cupboard where the 2011 microwave went. If you do a lot of dry camping this might not workout as the convection oven needs 110v while the propane oven does not.

Steve