Trip from K.C., MO to Little Big Horn National Monument, Montana

We are going from K.C. to Montana, Little Big Horn National Monument. Does anyone have a good route that would eliminate the need to go through a lot of mountains? We are also thinking of going through Wyo. towards Arizona. Any help would be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don,t know when you are going, but check out Hardin Re-enactment Days. I am doing this from my phone, or I would get a link for you. It is some time in mid June. Do a search. The whole town has stuff going on. Was fun.

Peace
Dave

Sailor

I take I 29 to Sioux Falls SD then I 90 all the way to Spearfish SD. That is as far as I have personly driven. It is all four lane, and nothing more then big hills. But I thought that Western KS was a boring drive until I drove I 90. From there I can't give any personal advice. From Spearfish SD my map program says to take US 212 to little Big Horn. The map program says that it is 957 miles. But that will depend on where you are in KCMO.

gregd

I-29 is pretty flat through MO, and NE and really flat (and straight) north up to Sioux Falls. I-90 east from Sioux Falls to Rapid City is mostly rolling hills. I recall there is a mountain pass east of Rapids City. The upper corner of Wyoming is mostly flat too. Roling hills. Some of the views from I-90 in that area are wonderful too.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We went to Custer's Battle Field while on the way to Glacier NP from Goshen IN. I have attached a map that you might check out for a trip to the battle field. We stayed at Custer's Gulch. From there you can go to Mt. Rushmore in the morning and on the way back to the campground you can stop by Crazy Horse in the evening and see the light show. From there you can go to Devil's Tower then to Bufflo Wy Indian Campground and then to 7th Ranch just before you get to Custer's Battle Field. The 7th Ranch is on a hill and you can look out over the country in the evening as the sun goes down.

The campgrounds I showed are nice palces and is reasonably priced. There are others that have more for children but cost a bit more.

Little Bighorn.jpg

If your interested here are some photos you can look at.
Custer's Gulch
Indian Campground
7th Ranch
Mt Rushmore
Crazy Horse

Let me know if you would like to see additional photos.

BC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We went to Yellowstone NP by way of the Black Hills, SD last year. The route we took was thru KC to Sioux Falls, SD then west on I-90 to Rapid City, SD. We stayed in Hill City in the Black Hills before heading out to YNP, staying on I-90 west to Buffalo WY, getting off on Hwy 16 to go over the Big Horn Mountains range to Cody/Yellowstone. I-90 wasn't bad at all on the parts that we traveled; but from Buffalo north I'm not sure how long it runs parallel to the mountain range. Maybe someone else can help ya.

loafer

Coming back from Nashville rally we did the I 90 route and also stayed at 7 th ranch near Garryowen very nice sunsets from the camp on the hillside .Some construction along I 90 that slows you down a bit going down to one lane for bridge and road repair. Stayed at Missoula Montana Koa make sure you make a reservation as they were busy 3 weeks ago .There is a 6300 foot pass going over the continental divide west on I 90 after you leave Missoula but I thats after you have reached Little bighorn area.The 7 th ranch campground is the nearest to Little bighorn monument good folks there and free ice cream bars for each of you when you register however wi fi was not so good when we were there best reception was at the office area.Last 1/2 mile into camp is gravel and a little dusty but hey your camping right.
Hope this helps
Have fun and stay safe on the road
Bill