Frame rust

jonesj2

Ok, we have had frame rust on the 2900MK since we purchased it back in 2008. Want to take care of the problem once and for all. What products do you all recommend to use?

Easy to apply and little surface preperation.

BruteForce

I've always wondered if a Rhino type liner spray (bed liner) would work for this type of problem. Not certain how much weight it would add to the chassis, but I'm certain that would stop the rust cold.

Beyond that, I've used textured Rust-oleum spray paint that indicates that you can spray right over rust without any prep. Used this on my exterior propane umbrella style heater and it's holding up just fine.

RollingHome

I've had good results using Rust-Oleum rust converter. If it is not a flaking rust (ya let it go too far) and just surface oxidation this product will convert the iron oxide into a paintable primed finish. It's fast and easy too use (cheap too) and gives good results. I have done entire TTchasis with good results,give it s try :) Tom

jonesj2

Rust-Oleum rust converter, I have seen this at Lowes and HD but was not sure if it would work, I may give this a try, I guess it can't hurt. I have also seen the Rust-Oleum rust Hammered paint and wondered if that was an option too.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, all the suggestions are good. My thoughts are...after you have all the shiney paint back. Buy the 3-M paintable undercoating and spray everything that does not move. It does need to be sprayed over paint.

depme

Without a doubt:

http://www.zero-rust.com/

Prior to my fulltimer phase of life, I restored old vehicles. Rust was something I was always dealing with. I have used a number of different products and Zero Rust was my primary weapon against rust on items like frames. Knock the loose rust off (wire brushing and etc.), then sometimes I treated with a rust converter product (Por-15, Rust-Mort, & etc.), and then Zero Rust over the top.

This product is unbelievable and that is coming from a man who has no financial in the product. The only downside is it although it goes on glossy but will eventually turn to a flat gloss. If turning flat is an issue to you, there is a rattle can clearcoat available that sprays over the top of the Zero Rust