Best method for securing things to the roof or installing a bike rack?

Kraythe

Greetings,

I am looking to install some solar panels on the roof of my 28 BRS and I was looking to find out what is the best, most secure method of attaching items to the roof. I heard that the roof was 1/4" luan board over foam. I don't know if this is true. I want to make sure the 1000$ solar panel stays put even in high winds, oncoming trucks and so on so I don't want to skimp on the attachment.

Also I am looking to attach a bike carrier rack to the back of the RV to take the mountain bikes with us. What is the best way to do this and are there any recommended products?

-- Kraythe

SmokeyBare

I used a fastener called "Well Nut". They are a rubber fastener that slips down into a hole and when the bolt is tightened, the "Well Nut" draws up or expands which prevents it from coming back through the hole. I used plenty of Rubber Roof sealant under the bracket as when I mounted the panels. I also applied a bead around the edge of the brackets once the installation was complete. The caulking makes them more or less glued to the roof.

Well Nut.jpg

I also built my own brackets from aluminum angle. I wanted the panels to be higher off the roof, allowing more air space between the bottom of the panel and the roof surface.

Good Luck with your project.

Marv

RollingHome

Kraythe, I am involved in the PV (photo voltaic) industry at R&D level. Without going into a lot of detail, the most inefficient use of RV solar panels is to mount them on your roof..., the reason. they need to point directly at the sun. Why not consider mounting them on a frame on the ground next to your rig to catch the most direct sun rays ? Some use an aluminum step ladder (talk to Chopper Bill) to do this. With your talent I'll bet you could come up with something even more ingenious... anything but the roof... PS, let me help you come to your best end solution and help you get the most from your investment. The Well Nuts mentioned are top shelf, - but - Kraythe do you want the best or second best ? I will be off line until Jun 16th. Tom

Last edited:
Well I dont think carrying them in some sort of compartment and trotting them out for an install is a practical solution. The panels I have in mind have adjustable tilt frames to allow the panels to be angled to the sun and that is probably going to be the best that I can do. You have to remember that this isnt a fixed emplacement where conditions are ideal. I have to deal with 150mph winds (oncomming trucks) and a mobile platform. Ultimately I want to have 4 120 watt panels if I can fit them on the roof. As for install I will use the best possible fasteners to do the job and if that means well nuts then so be it. If you have a better suggestion I am listening.

SmokeyBare

I used Aluminum angle ( 3" X 3" ) if I remember correctly for my roof brackets on my Bighorn. I then attached two panels to a pair of aluminum angles which are then attached to the four (4) roof brackets. By removing two bolts on either side, I can lift & angel the panels for a more direct to the sun. Based on how I have parked the RV of course...

Attachments

• IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 47

RollingHome

The best angle is 45* facing south. Using a compass is best. Correct for magnetic deviation. I would not trust myself to remember to "drop my Solar Cells" on the roof before hitting the highway. Sooner or later I would forget. Are you able to store the panels under your rig somehow in a rack you make for this purpose ? The adjustable roof brackets, do they swivel by-directional also ? Also, do they hinge on one side only, what if it's the wrong side ? Having the PV's on your roof also prevents you from parking your rig in the shade of trees on really hot days. All these are only items for consideration. Tom

Kraythe

The best angle is 45* facing south. Using a compass is best. Correct for magnetic deviation. I would not trust myself to remember to "drop my Solar Cells" on the roof before hitting the highway. Sooner or later I would forget. Are you able to store the panels under your rig somehow in a rack you make for this purpose ? The adjustable roof brackets, do they swivel by-directional also ? Also, do they hinge on one side only, what if it's the wrong side ? Having the PV's on your roof also prevents you from parking your rig in the shade of trees on really hot days. All these are only items for consideration. Tom

Yeah you make a good point about parking the trailer in the trees. However, I dont know if that offsets having to trot out the panels every time you park and assemble the system yet again. I dont have a lot of storage space in the RV and a framework rigged up would be hard to store given that the trailer is not exactly enormous.

ky-newbie

Hi,

I have no experience with this - yet - only reading lots of posts. :eek:

I read a post/article, maybe a couple of months ago, from someone with solar/engineering experience basically saying the wiring size is the key to a successful install. He said (I'm paraphrasing here) the recommendation is #8 or #10 wire connecting the panels to the battery. He used #4 wire instead, which eliminated a huge loss in power. He said he had 1 or 2 panels, and they would run everything in the RV for a couple of days, even during cloudy periods. He said he never ran his generator, unless the weather turned cloudy for longer than that. He was amused with people running their generators every evening, even though they had solar panels all over their RV top.

All that being said - I would suppose if it was installed "correctly", you would probably need only one panel for the 28BRS. One panel would be much easier to store than the four you mention.

Thanks - look forward to the feedback. :eek: