Shotgun into Canada

Dave42

Hello,
I want to take a shotgun to Alaska (bear protection) and I must cross Canada to get there. Has anyone actually done that? I have my Canadian forms filled out but there are several boxes to check regarding the reason for bringing in the firearm. I checked the "in transit" box. Should I have checked the "protection from wild animals" box? Does it matter much? Of course I would keep the shotgun unloaded, hidden, with trigger lock and cable locked to the trailer until I crossed the border to Alaska.

Please do not respond with "bear spray" suggestions.
Thanks,
Dave

DMitch

Dave42, As long as you have the proper paper work from the Canadian Gov. and have had the gun checked at the border you will be fine. Checking the transportation box is all you need. I have traveled back and forth across the border with guns many many times going to Canada to hunt. Just fill out the paper work, have the gun checked at the border and pay the fee. One warning NO HAND GUNS and no guns with barrels of less than 18" (check the 18" number, it's from memory). Have a great trip to Alaska.

RoadJunkie

A little off-topic, but regarding hand guns: Many years ago I was headed to Las Cruces, NM, and also wanted to take my family to Jurarez (I said it was many years ago). I wanted to walk across the border but somehow I ended up driving in Mexico before I knew what was happening. Well, we shopped and ate and had a great time, but then I remembered I had a 9mm S&W under the driver's seat of the car. I was with my wife and our two small children and I felt I could get back without being searched. It turned out OK, but, with what I know now, I surely would have taken the gun apart and thrown it away prior to crossing any borders. Guess I dodged a bullet.

beardedone

Beardedone
Hi Dave
You shouldn't have any trouble with your plan with the exception of saying it might be used for animal protection... DON'T. Guns for protection against animals is not a reason. If you were legally entitled to have a firearm in your activity and an animal attacked you that would be more acceptable, however, your weapon is supposed to be secured for transit throught Canada. Therefore if you return to your RV to get that "secured" weapon to protect you from animal.....I don't think that would water for a nano second. As they say a word to the wise etc.

Dave012

Please do not respond with "bear spray" suggestions.

This reminds me of an old joke:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter. They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away. It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area.

People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat. Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Wish you safe travels.

Dave

Last edited:

RollingHome

Dave, reading your thread, ya gotta love the humor of our northern neighbors... The Canadians. Their black bears look at em guys napping in their sleeping bags and say... Look Bobo sandwiches... Gotta love them Canuks, huh ?

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
shotguns are no problem going through Canada at all. No paperwork required just are limited to distances off roads you can take it during your travel through. Lived in AK many years and carried many through Canada many times.

Dave42

This thread is a little stale but here is the follow-up from my trip to Alaska through Canada with my shotgun.

Yes you do need paperwork. Mine was copied from the Canadian govt. site and filled out before I left home (3 copies required). Crossing the border at Sweetgrass, Montana, I gave them $25 Canadian and they put a stamp I beleive on my copy. They instructed me to keep the gun unloaded.

Re-entering the U.S., the border guard at Chicken, Ak. (U.S. guard) asked if I had a gun and looked at the Canadian papers. No problem. Coming out of Haines, Ak., and re-entering Canada, the Canadian guard wanted to see the shotgun and check the serial numbers. I had to open the bed slide to get to the gun. No problem.

Re-entering the U.S. on US93 just north of Eureka, Montana (as I recall), the guard asked for the papers and then hassled me with "I can confinscate your shotgun because I don't know if it came from the U.S. or not." What?! I had the Canadian papers which showed that I had crossed with it into Canada from the U.S.! He told me that I should have stopped at the U.S. border post and shown them the gun before crossing into Canada. He decided to "let me go". Actually I had the original Wal-Mart receipt in the Bighorn but we didn't get that far.

The paperwork is good for only 60 days, the deadline which I beat by about 2 days. You can extend the time with another $25 and the original paperwork but I don't remember how they said I should go about it.

The guards in general, seemed to know less about the situation than I did.
Dave

We are moving back to AK this summer.... I guess I need to ship my weapons. $25 per shotgun then having them registered just does not set well with me!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I lived in AK for many many years and worked for the Fish and Game. The term "Sour Dough" meant someone that spent a winter in the INTERIOR (NOT Anchorage) and now it means someone Sour on Alaska and not enough Dough to get out! I gave up on making a living there (but must admit, I lived so far North there were no trees!!)

Happy Campers

I know this is an old thread but ... We went to Alaska last year and I took a shotgun even downloaded the forms from the Canadian Gov site.At the border I went in with the paperwork and after the usual questions I paid the fee and was told I could go.Nobody at any border crossing asked to see the shotgun at any crossing except re-entering back into the USA in Washington.At that time it was checked to see that it was the same gun and serial # as what was on the paperwork.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
So I have pistol and full time what does one do with there pistol before going into Canada.

Don... I recall a couple of years ago, that my nephew mailed (insured) his gun and ammo to himself for general delivery at a post office just inside Alaska.
You may call the post office and ask or maybe there is some info on the usps website.

Birchwood

On our first trip to Florida we thought it would be unsafe to walk in the wilds because of alligators and snakes.
After a few months living in Florida there is no more danger walking in the wilds than there is in New Brunswick Canada
You will discover this when you arrive in Alaska that there is no more danger that living in IN.I worked in Canada's
Arctic on the Tundra and we never had any weapons on board.