Do you need one ???

imchud

I would like to know if you really need the check valve that the city water inlet goes into, or what the real reason for it is??? The end of last year the plastic valve at the inlet went bad, so I had it replaced, now with the new season under way the new valve lasted two weeks before it went bad. I know they make brass ones, but the plastic one fits into a slot in the back of the control panel and i'm not sure how i would attach a threaded brass one. If you really do need one, couldn't I just install it into the inlet side (front) of the control panel, or just install a small ball valve that I would shut off before I disconnected the water supply??/ Thanks...

Tom

No you don't need one.
This is my first trailer that had one. I always just had a white plastic plug I put on hose fitting when I used the trailer pump. This is just a setup they put in so you don't have to plug it. I always have a screen in my hose inlet at the cg hookup, so the screen in plug is just an extra.

Some plumbing codes require backflow devices on fresh water connections and fresh water lines. This prevents contaminants from entering into the fresh water system. Not sure if the national code or RVIA codes require it as I am not a plumber.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I, like jmgratz, am not a plumber and don't know about any codes for RV's. The reason the checkvalve is there is to prevent pumping water out when you use the on board water pump. Yes, you could use a ball valve type shut off in it's place but it would be better to replace the bad one with a quality valve as Alan suggests. There are good valves available that are a direct replacement and can be changed out in a few minutes.

Cary

Many years back when we lived in the north where things froze and we had pop-up campers with similar devices called "check Tees" we had a problems with them going bad and leaking. Finally I figured out that if I made sure it was empty before cold weather, all the problems went away. Antifreeze would probably have had the same effect.

I hope this is relevant and helps.

Cary

Cimriver

Ray LeTourneau said:

I, like jmgratz, am not a plumber and don't know about any codes for RV's. The reason the checkvalve is there is to prevent pumping water out when you use the on board water pump. Yes, you could use a ball valve type shut off in it's place but it would be better to replace the bad one with a quality valve as Alan suggests. There are good valves available that are a direct replacement and can be changed out in a few minutes.

Ray I beleive the check valve has a dual purpose. One as you said is to prevent emptying the tank when running on the pump. It also prevents backflow into the public water system. In certain circumstances, i.e. a fire truck hooked up to a fire hydrant, a suction can be created pulling water back into the public water system.

I'd replace the check valve with a good one, but would not eliminate it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray I beleive the check valve has a dual purpose. One as you said is to prevent emptying the tank when running on the pump. It also prevents backflow into the public water system. In certain circumstances, i.e. a fire truck hooked up to a fire hydrant, a suction can be created pulling water back into the public water system.

I'd replace the check valve with a good one, but would not eliminate it.
Good point! I hadn't thought of that. I think most, if not all, RV parks are required to have that check valve on their water hook ups but that doesn't mean they do.

imchud

Thanks Guy's --- After reading "Cary's" post I realized I haven't been winterizing the valve... Duhhh. I mean after 32 years of camping and owning 5 campers (maybe 6) I would remember to do that. Two years ago when we picked up the "coach" (i like that word) - the dealer told me to make sure I back-flowed the check valve while winterizing (by depressing the valve) so the valve didn't freeze and break. well they say the third time is a charm, so I took 2010augusta's advise and purchased a new unit with a built in BRASS check valve. I guess i got to stop drinking while winterizing... Or maybe not....