Suggestions on Campgrounds

charlie51

We have had 6 nights reserved for the end of this month at Topsail in Destin, FL since last summer. Now with the oil spill we're having to try and come up with something else. Does anyone have any idea for a good family place to go that is no farther than 6-8 hours from the Alabama/Tennessee line? The kids were counting on the beach and I was too because it's a cheap vacation. all the expense we have is the gas, campground fee, and groceries. The beach is free. Now I'm trying to find an alternative that won't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not sure how far this beach would be from your location,but we love the Myrtle Beach,SC area.Several nice campgrounds. We have gone to Ocean Lakes Family Campground for years.Have never stayed at Pirate Land Campground or at Lakewood Campground,but have heard a lot of good things about them.These 3 cgs are next door to each other.If you are planning on going around the 4th of July you may have a problem getting a reservation on the first call,but just keep trying.Hope this helps.

Are you positive Topsail (Destin) has been or will be impacted by the oil spill ? I was speaking with an individual who just returned from Florida's west coast yesterday and she said "all the oil spill reporting is hype, there were no indications of oil coming ashore on Floida's gulf side". She was in Tampa and several other areas and on the beach. I would suggest you call Florida's DNR before you cancel. JMO, Tom

Tom is correct. I would inquire with the local authorities or even the CG you are staying at before changing your plans. I could suggest a few places but of course they would be $30/night and up.....

charlie51

I was just going by what I'm seeing and hearing on the news. As of a couple of days ago they said the oil was 7 miles from the FL coast, and I have seen the pictures where there is already the tar looking stuff on the beach in Orange Beach and Gulf Shore, AL. Didn't want to drive 7 hours and then have oil washing up half way through or stay. Hopefully they will find a resolution to the crisis.