Couple of good news things on antennas

schipperhaven

Don Ferris
I bought the little wing that Winegard offers to improve HD reception on the OEM vhf/uhf crank-up. It didn't fit, because the OEM antenna is not Winegard, it's "System Commander." Winegard insists that no parts are compatible. But I returned the wing and bought the new Winegard System 4 batwing top with HD already attached, and it fit perfectly on my System Commander pedestal, and what a difference!

Meanwhile, I also bought a Winegard carryout with ladder bracket. It's the best of both worlds. Stays up there "hardwired" all the time, but if I park without southern exposure, off it comes off in about two minutes to be placed elsewhere. (No, I'm not a Winegard shill!)

We're full timing for three years on a Discover America trip and our Bighorn is performing extremely well.

I just added the Winegard carryout to mine as well. It's also mounted on the ladder with the switch mounted inside. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I thought the ladder mount package was a bit expensive for no more than it is.

Sailor

I was thinking of getting the Winegard carry out also, but have a few questions if anyone can answer? Do you use the same cable when it is mounted on the ladder as when you carry it out, or do you have two sets of cables? Also do you know if there is an optional cable longer then 50'. From what I have read there is a cable that runs from the antenna to the reciver in the inside of the 5th wheel, and a power supply cable from the antenna to 12 volt. Where dose the swtich come into play? On my 2011 GC they say that it is perwired, and that the wire is in the roof in the bed room, any idea if there is is also a 12 voult power to that location. Do run the cable from the antenna direct to the reciver like Winegard suggest, or do you run it in to the plug in connection in the basement?

JJnLilly

Good to hear about the Winegard fitting. Had purchased a new Winegard HD for our old unit and we traded before I got it installed. Guess I'll climb up on the roof of the Greystone and make a swap.

CPE

I have installed the Winegard wing on my System Commander antenna. It must be lined up in the same plane as the elements on the existing antenna; I found two holes in the System Commander that lined up and used the Winegard furnished plastic bolts. I also, for safeties sake, lashed the antenna also to the existing antenna well with 30 pound fishing line(can not use metal!). It improved the signal some not earth shattering. I got a few more channels when I installed it, so for the price and effort I would say worth it.