Installed the Keyless RVLock, Its easy and works great!

2010augusta

With the release of the 2011 Big Horns and Landmarks with a key-less entry systems, we got a little jelous, so after another forum member found in a different thread, RVLock out of Utah has released a replacement door lock/latch that is a keyless entry system.

We ordered one and I got it installed today.

The kit comes with the 2 piece door latch, 2 keys, 1 wireless FOB, a new strike plate for the door and all the need hardware. The handle is large than the old one, so it is easy to get a few fingers behind the paddle. The system operates by 4 AA batteries installed behind the black part of the interior door handle. Here is the new and old latches
DSCN6778.JPGDSCN6781.JPG

The installation is very easy. You only have to remove the 4 screws that hold the old latch in place and the 2 screws on the door's strike plate, and then install the new latch, hook up 1 wire connection and replace the 6 screws. I had to adjust the door striker on the door jamb a bit the make the door close and latch easier.

Here are new and old shots of both sides of the latch.
DSCN6784.JPGDSCN6779.JPG
DSCN6785.JPGDSCN6780.JPG

The new latch is very easy to use and looks great. they are available in black or white. In the next few month they are planning on releasing a wireless key pad for the system, so no keys or even a FOB would be need, so no more lock outs if your DW takes the car to the store while you're out for a short walk :eek:. If you want one go to RVLock.com and order one for your trailer. Be sure to mention that you found out about them from the Heartland Owners Forum.:cool:

If you want to know about entry door construction, it is just the exterior wall panel, Styrofoam, and the interior aluminum sheet.
DSCN6782.JPG

DXprowler

I really like the look of that system! How did you run the wire? Ops... never mind.... just went to the site and saw it was battery operated. Looks good!

DougAndJudy

Alan -

I read the info on the site, but couldn't quite tell: Does the remote just lock the handle or both the handle and the deadbolt?

Thanks!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Saw this on a previous thread and DW was, and still is, begging me to get one. Glad to hear from someone else about how ez it is to install. Thanks for the pics.
N--

2010augusta

Alan -

I read the info on the site, but couldn't quite tell: Does the remote just lock the handle or both the handle and the deadbolt?

Thanks!

It operates the deadbolt. there is no way to lock the handle on the RVLock. We never locked the handle, so it is not an issue for us.

I received an email from on of the RVLock reps and here is the thought on the handle locks:
RVLock.com said:
Couple other points I wanted to make about the questions you received in your forumn on locking the paddle (or handle) lock vs. the dead bolt. Most people don't lock the paddle, only the dead bolt and for 2 good reasons,

1. The paddle key cylinder is one of a few master keys, in other words if you locked yourself out, chances are, your neighbor has the same key and could get you back in, and

2. People are locking themselves out. If you lock the paddle handle, come in and then go outside, forgetting your keys inside, the door will still close with the paddle in the locked position, locking you out. We redesigned the RVLock without the paddle cylinder to get rid of the confusion.

Anyway, just noticed one of your followers had asked the question, "does it have a locking handle as well as a locking dead bolt?" Also, if people knew that the paddle handle can still be yanked open even when locked, they would understand how it really is not good for security. They should always lock the dead bolt, or get an RVLock. :)

The rep has been great with communication through out the sales process and following up with a few question I had. RVLock is another great company with great customer service.

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
That has to be better than getting the key to work.....so who got the one remote? I bet you bought the extra remote so you can have one also.

RoadJunkie

In the next few month they are planning on releasing a wireless key pad for the system, so no keys or even a FOB would be need, so no more lock outs if your DW takes the car to the store while you're out for a short walk :eek:. If you want one go to RVLock.com and order one for your trailer. Be sure to mention that you found out about them from the Heartland Owners Forum.:cool:

I just talked to these guys and they were open and helpful. I thought I would share the results of the discussion:

They have immediate delivery for the black units and are running low on the white ones, looks like a couple of weeks delay if you order white. As Augusta said, the key-less remote won't be available for a couple of months but, if you order the lock now, they would include a coupon valid for 1/2 off the price of the key-less remote when they become available, non discounted price is $80.00.

wyleyrabbit

Does this new lock require any further modification of the hole in the door? I swear the part on the outside looks significantly wider than the stock lock. Am very interested in doing this mod.

2010augusta

No modification is necessary. I unit is larger, but still fits in the OEM hole. I did have a small issue with the folding grab bar hitting the handle, but the grab handle location varies widely on the other HL's I have seen.

RoadJunkie

For anyone considering the RVlock solution, I ordered one and received the following response regarding my inquiry as to when it might be shipped:

"Thank you for your recent purchase of the RVLock handle. Through our commitment to providing the highest quality product possible, we are continually testing and improving this innovative new product. Currently we have decided to upgrade the intensity of our circuit board. Because of this decision our orders are currently anticipated to leave the warehouse within 30-45 days. We know that you will be very happy with your RVLock and this improvement will make it even better! If you should decide not to wait just request a refund through email and we will be happy to return your money in full. Otherwise, we will ship your product as soon as the upgraded version is available."

When I contacted RVlock when this thread had just been started, they indicated their keypad entry was a couple of months out. When I made the order the keypad was still a couple of months out. Hummmm. They did indicate they were going through some company changes too. We'll see.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We ordered and received the remote keyless lock from RVlocks right before heading to Bristol races. It was real e-z to install in that it fits in the same area as the old lock. Really like just hitting the remote button to get in the rig. Oh - the key works also in that the batteries they sent with the unit died right after installing. Haven't had a problem since putting in the copper top bats.