Noisy Ceiling Fan

I have an AC ceiling fan in the living room - kitchen area of my 2009 Sundance 2900 MK. The fan motor makes a loud humming sound at all three speeds. The humming sound stops immediately when the power is turned off, even though the fan is still rotating at nearly full speed. The fan blades do not appear to be out of balance. The frequency of the humming is the same no matter what the fan speed is; it sounds like a multiple (second or third harmonic) of the 60 Hz power frequency.

Should I contact a dealer to have the fan replaced?

Duramax1

I do not have that option in my Sundance.

I would suggest that you listen to the ceiling fan in another Sundance at your dealer to determine if there is something different about the sound of yours.

jimtoo

We also have ,,, make that HAD a noisy ceiling fan. We have a 08 BH 3055RL. Thought it was the fan, but it is the way it is mounted. It is mounted solid to the roof trusses or the mounting in the ceiling. Ours is mounted in a recess in the ceiling, like for a sky light or vent. I took mine down and drilled out the metal bracket that the motor attaches to and installed rubber bushings. Mounted the motor using longer bolts, washers, and nylon locking nuts, leaving it hanging loose a little. This makes the fan insulated away from the solid surface and cut out 90% of the hum. Now you do need to make sure you do not drop the fan down to far. You need to make sure the blades will clear the slides when you pull them in. I think I dropped mine almost 1" with the bushings and longer bolts. While I had the fan down,, since they don't move a lot of air being mounted close to the ceiling, I tweaked....Bent,,, twisted... the mounting brackets for the blades to increase the pitch of the blades a little. If you do the twist on the blades, make sure you get them all the same or really close. Don't do it to much, the fan motor can't handle the extra load. But now it moves more air and does not make any noticeable noise.

Hope this helps you, because most likely it is not the fan motor.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess I'm the "odd guy out" on this one. We've had our fan going 24/7 unless we're on the move for 4 years. Still quiet as a church mouse. Of course, I've really never heard a church mouse either. Try checking for a loose screw on the fan blades or where the blades mount to the motor.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I guess we're lucky because ours doesn't make any noise but then it doesn't move much air either. Getting a recirculating fan today and I know that will help cool me.

D

Dave Willis

You should get with your local dealer and see if they can help you with the fan. After reading all of the other forum members responses, it sounds like you might have something wrong.

Thanks,