2010 Edge M22 and first trip complete

Just got back from 5 days in Moab in our new M22. Could not have been happier with the layout, storage space, towability, and style of this trailer.

Compared to our old Fleetwood Resolute tent trailer, we were living in luxury in the Edge. In particular, counter space is great and the dinette slide makes the trailer feel bigger than it is. After living with the multi function windows for a few days, I'm more of a fan than ever. The shade/screen versatility is great, and you can make the trailer really dark with the shades. Only source of light was the blue hue from the Jensen audio/video system, but maybe there's a way to control/dim the light that I haven’t found yet. The background ’mood’ lighting (outdoor light rope?) behind the kitchen cabs and queen bed storage is a great feature for moving about in the middle of the night or for use as a kid’s nightlight. We’ve got the full body paint (Burgundy) and the 3M protection on the front lower half of the aero cap is a great feature. Good thinking there Heartland.

On the minus side, the shower is a bit tight, but that's something we knew when we bought. A/C is somewhat noisy and can vibrate the bunks somewhat, but again, we knew that when we took delivery. A door latch would be a great addition and I’ve read that is included on the 2011 models.

Tow vehicle is a BMW X5 4.4i Sport with 4 way air suspension and self leveling. The X5’s independent rear suspension, short overhang, massive brakes, wide low profile summer tires, 6 forward speeds, and great hp/torque make the X5 a sleeper of a tow vehicle. Even the ascent of Vail Pass at 10,600 feet didn’t bring speeds down to less than 65. Severe winds were encountered on the drive West, and the Edge tracked straight. Initial thought is that the combination of the Edge’s light weight, balance and aero shape seem like a great combo with the right mid-sized SUV. We’re using the new RF brake controller from Prodigy. Setup was a breeze and it worked reliably on the trip. Only concern was a couple odd readings that said the system was getting brakes when I wasn’t applying any braking. Will chock this up to RF interference on the wireless monitor but will need to watch.

This trailer draws lots of attention and I spent quite a bit of time during the trip quoting specs and letting folks tour the camper. A great start so far and we’ll try to put as many days in this summer and fall and will report back.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi ColoradoM22,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Good to hear that you had a good first experience with your new trailer. I'm sure you will make many great memories with it and have lots of fun.

Enjoy the forum and check into the Heartland Owners Club.

Jim M

rl7greg

Yes, my M22 gets lots of attention too, though it doesn't have the nice paint job yours does. I guess the 4.4i is a V-8, but still, it looks really big behind your SUV. That really gets people looking.

Did yours come with shades over the roof vent over the bed and over the door window? I had to make some shades for those myself.

Yes, my M22 gets lots of attention too, though it doesn't have the nice paint job yours does. I guess the 4.4i is a V-8, but still, it looks really big behind your SUV. That really gets people looking.

Did yours come with shades over the roof vent over the bed and over the door window? I had to make some shades for those myself.

No shades over the vents or door window, and they are needed for sure. Here's another pic from a bit different perspective, looks a little more proportionate! But yes, I did get a couple surprised looks that the X5 was the TV. Here's a link to a forum with an interesting discussion of the X5 as a TV: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/interesting-article-re-bmw-x5-and-towing-30589.html

IMG_2264_1.JPG