Major odor from waste tank

trumanr

I have a Big Country 2008 3250. I am experiencing a major foul odor from the toilet when I flush it. I keep chemicals in it and dump it often and use the built in washer on it, plus I open the toilet drain and swab that area out as it is a long drop to the tank and I know "stuff" can collect there. What else can I do? This occurs a couple or three times a year and just happened on my last trip, even after I had flushed it out at home a few weeks before the trip.

Thanks,

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try using the "Geo Method" to clean it. Dissolve 2 cups of Calgon Water Softener (powder) in a gallon of hot water, along with a cup of laundry detergent. Dump that in the toilet and fill the tank halfway or so with water. Drive the rig around a bit to slosh it around, then dump the tank. Most of the time, I just dissolve a cup of Calgon and use that in the tank, rather than the chemicals. No odors.

If, as you say, you're dumping it often, you may not be allowing enough water to fill the tank to fully dissolve the solids. Don't rely on the indicator panel to be accurate. Seems once it hits "full", it likes to stay there. Another option is to connect a HydroFlush adapter to the sewer connection and backflush the tank. Seems to do better than just running the black tank rinse.

2010augusta

Stop eating so many beans on your camping trips:p

What kind of chemicals are you using?

We use the TST orange dropins, and I let them disolve in the toilet before flushing into the tank.
The only time we get odors is when the tank is very full and burps through the toilet.

And as John metioned, we only dump when the toilet starts to burp, meaning the tank is completely full.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Like others have said......keeping the level towards the full side will lessen the fumes in most cases. Keeping the waste underwater helps with the odor.
We keep a bottle of Dawn liquid dish washing detergent handy by the toilet, squeeze some in the toilet after each use.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
trumanr, I never use chemicals in the black tank, and never have odors, so your problem, I think, is more than how clean or dirty your tank is.
The above suggestions are certainly worth trying, as I know the Geo Method is good, as well as dumping too often is bad.
Be sure to check your roof vent to be sure it is clear. And I know this may sound silly, but try plunging at the toilet to be sure there is no partial obstruction from the toilet to the tank. Fill the bowl up with water and give it a good flush a few times.

Peace
Dave

Willym

You may be getting the odour in the bathroom because the air pressure inside the trailer is lower than that at the vent outside. If you are running a vent fan, it could lead to this situation. Wind (atmospheric that is) from a certain direction can also cause reverse vent flow. I'm like Dave, and rarely use chemicals in the tank, and have only had the occasional odour.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Willym beat me to the punch. If you happen to be running the fantastic exhaust fan, you will pull air directly out of the toilet through the open flush valve while flushing. This will occur even if you have windows open. Trust me, I know.:eek:

esbeasley

when I had the problem I found the vent pipe was solid against the cap for the vent. Once I cut the pipe back an inch or so no more problem

LilGTO71

I know odor from "under" the rig is not fun. Last year, while up in Portland, I saw a septic service truck all shiny that had a logo on the bag that read, "Thanks for making us your #1 Septice Servie, (We also do #2).